Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richard_simpson
Partner - Contributor III

Chart not refreshing when variable used in set analysis is changed?

Does anyone know what could be the problem, or what I have to do, to get a chart (straight table) to refresh when a variable used by it in set analysis expressions is amended by the user using an input box? By placing a text box alongside the input box I can see that the variable has been changed, but the chart (table) doesn't seem to notice! If I click on the chart and view its properties, and then exit the view of properties using the cancel button, then still no change. But if I view the properties and then exit them by pressing <ok>, even though I haven't amended any properties, the chart now refreshes and the table shows values relating to the new value in the variable? It is all very strange??

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Richard,

About the "ok" vs. "cancel" behavior - it is normal.  On cancel, nothing happens.  On OK, chart recalculates. That's why I thought of "detached".

Speaking of workarounds.  See if chart calculates if you detach/attach it without going to chart properties.  If it works, you can use a macro that does the same on any select or variable change.

Regards,

Michael

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Richard,

It is strange...  The only reason I can think of - maybe the chart is "detached" (?)

Qvmaster2019
Creator
Creator

In case it is not "detached", could you attached your .qvw?

Not applicable

Hi,

I don't know the reason for the application's strange behaviour, but maybe you can use triggers ("on any event", "set variable") as a workaround?

richard_simpson
Author

Thanks Michael. I did wonder if that was the cause, but had already checked and it isn't. That would have explained it although not sure what does trigger a refresh when an object is detached? (because it does refresh when I view its properties and then exit with <ok>, but not when exiting properties with <cancel>). Anyway, it isn't detached, so not the problem. Thanks though....

richard_simpson
Author

Hi dnatividad. I'm afraid I can't attach the QVW... it is far too big and also confidential information

But I can assure you it isn't detached.

If I don't get an answer that solves this then I may try to build a very simple QVW with inline tables etc and see if I can replicate the problem....

Incidentally, for some reason your post has amended the AUTHOR of this whole thread? Do you know why? It isn't because you are the last one to post a message because sebablum has posted a message since? Very strange!

richard_simpson
Author

Hi Sebablum. It's a great idea, and I will try it, but of course I shouldn't really have to! I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks

CELAMBARASAN
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

Hi,

Check whether the variable changed?

Are you using any condition or variable value in your chart expression to make change in chart?

Celambarasan

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

Check whether variable value is changing by placing it in the Text box.  If possible attach the sample file or else post the expressions used for Variable and chart expressions.

Regards,

Jagan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Richard,

About the "ok" vs. "cancel" behavior - it is normal.  On cancel, nothing happens.  On OK, chart recalculates. That's why I thought of "detached".

Speaking of workarounds.  See if chart calculates if you detach/attach it without going to chart properties.  If it works, you can use a macro that does the same on any select or variable change.

Regards,

Michael