Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Can't open own files anymore after having done a recovery.

I suppose it goes without saying I'm new to the program, hence this section of the forum, so here's my problem:

I'm using the personal edition of QlikView to run some tests and see how everything is working. The problem I am facing right now is that I have created some .qvw files on another PC in the past few months, but have recently moved workspace and PC. While on my new PC I once did a recovery to see those old files I created and try to re-create them. Ever since though, I have been unable to open .qvw documents which were created on this PC.

Whenever I open a file created on this machine I get the option to do a recovery and continue. Obviously this can't be correct as I've only got 2 remaining attempts left now and I have to re-start work on documents every time. Is there a way I can correct this?

I am using version 9.00 SR2.

8 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Sorry to reply to my own post, but as said this is quite a nuisance and I can't use the program as desired right now. Am I perhaps posting in the wrong section, or this something heavily explained someplace (I did find several FAQ sections regarding recoveries, but none mentioned possible problems such as this).

Hopefully someone can help me still! Much obliged 🙂

Not applicable
Author

Hi Michiel01,

As per my knowledge Qlikview PE capturing machie ID and thats why you are facing this issue .

Ontop of that ,if you system is in network , then it may ask for "recovery " checks eventhough you only worked using single system everytime.

As long as your are single machine user (that too Standalone ) you wont get " Document Recovery" checks , other than that its very uncertain & unpredictable .

In your case option is to go for License Verson ASAP Smile

Always Welcome,

Bhushan N

Not applicable
Author

Unfortunately this is part of the security to do with the licensing of qlikview. The personal edition is designed so that you can only work on that one machine and use the documents created on that machine. This is to stop companies and others from creating files using a personal license and passing them around to work on them. The same is true when you open a file from another computer, all QVW's have an embedded licence and thats how it tells. Sorry, not alot you can do other than pick up a license, then you should be able to open them.

Ben

Not applicable
Author

Thank you both for answering, although I'm still not sure what exactly is wrong and I fear I still don't know how to solve it (other than getting a license).

I understand the need for a recovery when opening a file that has been created on _ANOTHER_ computer. My problem however is that I can't even open files created on _THIS_ computer without doing a recovery. So I can open QlikView, create a file, save it and then when opening it again on the same computer it still asks for a recovery. Also deleting/uninstalling/redownloading the package doesn't change the situation.

This problem has started after I did a recovery a while back for some files, but that shouldn't have created this issue with newly created files (afaik). Getting a license isn't an option just yet.

Not applicable
Author

I have the same problem. Is there some solution?

I used all my recoveries and now when I create document, save it and open it again on the same machine, it fails, because all recoveries were used.

Maybe it's cause by the QV version itself. I don't remember what exact 9 xSR I was using when I used last recovery, but now I'm using QV 10 SR1 and it's not working anymore.

Not applicable
Author

I have the same problem. I have just started to use Qlik (v11) and I cannot open any of my own files. The PC is XP Pro and it is on a network.

Not applicable
Author

I have the same problem with Qlik v11 on a Windows XP network machine.

What is the use of offering a few Personal Edition if it doesn't work on a networked PC????????????????

I log in as the user on the PC and I'm also the only user on the PC, but I can't open Qlik files that I have created.

I want to evaluate this software with a view to proposing that we purchase it, but I can't.

So what now???????

Not applicable
Author

Still not resolved or working!

Any advise on how to proceed?

I desperately want to test this product.