Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Configure Access Point to read from two QV Servers

I need help setting up access point to access the document folders from two distinct servers. Both servers are licensed and have documents that are being distributed to them by the Publisher. My goal is to have one place for users to go to see a list of the documents that are available...they don't need to know that the apps are being hosted by two different servers.

On the server that is hosting the Access Point I have configured (Within the Server Management Console) a mounted folder that points to the other server's dosument folder. The documents from both servers now show up on the accesspoint, but only the apps that are on the local server can be opened. The accesspoint uses the wrong URL to try to access the remote apps.

I have fiddled around with the Settings.xml file, but to no avail.

Any insights would be appreciated.

sjprows

7 Replies
flavio_fazzano
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi Spencer,

I think you must configure the servers in round robin way. After that, in the second server, you should install only DSC (Directory Service Connector), XS (Execution Service), AccessPoint Service & AccessPoint IIS Support

Regards,
Flavio

Not applicable
Author

Hi Flavio,

Thanks for the Reply. Not sure how to configure the round-robin servers...and I'm not sure that this is what I need either. I am not trying to load balance across the servers. I am simply trying to have the Access Point list the documents that have been published to each of the servers.

Thanks

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I have the same requirement. Where you able to solve this and in that case how?

Johan

Not applicable
Author

We have modifid the Settings.xml file located in \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\QlikTech\Publisher\AccesspointService to include the additional ServerMountedQVW folders on different servers. So our one AccessPoint (usap023\AccesPoint\default.aspx) now shows documents from three separate servers (three separate QV Server services - licenses required.)

Note the additiional </AddQvs> sections (passwords have been changed)

--------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<Settings>
<ClientSettings>
<Listing StartExpanded="True" EnableClickOnRow="True" IEClientDefault="True" JavaClientDefault="True" DownloadDefault="True" HighlightNotExecutedJobs="False" HighlightThresholdMinutes="60">
<ClientPriority>
<ZeroFootPrint />
<Plugin />
<Java />
<Download />
</ClientPriority>
</Listing>
<!-- Pluginwindow OpenMode can be one of the following -->
<!-- Root = File will open in the same window as accesspoint -->
<!-- Same = File will open in a new window, but always in the same -->
<!-- AlwaysInNew = File will always be opened in a new window -->
<PluginWindow OpenMode="AlwaysInNew" DisplayFileNameInTitleBar="True" UseQvpLinksForPlugin="False" />
<Communication ReceiveTimeout="60000" SendTimeout="5000" DownloadBufferSize="100000" />
</ClientSettings>
<ServerSettings>
<Logging LogRecieve="1" LogSend="1" DebugLog="False" />
<Listener IPAddress="127.0.0.1" Port="4994" />
<Scanner CachedSimplifiedADSecurityMode="False">
<AllowedExtensions>
<Allow Extension=".qvw" />
</AllowedExtensions>
</Scanner>
<Directories ProtocolPrefix="http://">
<!-- Example AddDirectory statement -->
<!-- <AddDirectory Path="d:\mydocuments\" /> -->
<!-- Example DenyDirectory statement -->
<!-- <DenyDirectory Path="d:\mydocuments\" /> -->
</Directories>
<QlikviewServers>
<AddQvs Port="4747" ProtocolPrefix="http://" Machine="USAP023" LinkMachineName="(FromRequest)" DMSMode="False" AlwaysUseFallbackKey="False" RegistryBaseKey="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\QlikTech\QlikViewServer\Settings 7" FallbackRegistryBaseKey="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\QlikTech\QlikViewServer\Settings 7" PluginClientPath="/QvPlugin/opendoc.htm?document=" JavaClientPath="/QvJava/opendoc.htm?document=" CustomPrefix="custom\" AlwaysTunnel="False" Username="" Password="">
<IPFilter>
<!-- Example IPFilter statement -->
<!-- <Filter Mask="255.255.255.0" Match="192.168.3.0" MachineName="mycustommachinename" /> -->
</IPFilter>
</AddQvs>
<AddQvs Port="4747" ProtocolPrefix="http://" Machine="USAP049" LinkMachineName="USAP049" DMSMode="False" AlwaysUseFallbackKey="False" RegistryBaseKey="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\QlikTech\QlikViewServer\Settings 7" FallbackRegistryBaseKey="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\QlikTech\QlikViewServer\Settings 7" PluginClientPath="/QvPlugin/opendoc.htm?document=" JavaClientPath="/QvJava/opendoc.htm?document=" CustomPrefix="custom\" AlwaysTunnel="False" Username="SA_Qlikview" Password="Encrypted=ecriptedpasswordhere==">
<IPFilter>
<!-- <Filter Mask="255.255.255.0" Match="192.168.3.0" MachineName="mycustommachinename" /> -->
</IPFilter>
</AddQvs>
<AddQvs Port="4747" ProtocolPrefix="http://" Machine="USAP050" LinkMachineName="USAP050" DMSMode="False" AlwaysUseFallbackKey="False" RegistryBaseKey="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\QlikTech\QlikViewServer\Settings 7" FallbackRegistryBaseKey="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\QlikTech\QlikViewServer\Settings 7" PluginClientPath="/QvPlugin/opendoc.htm?document=" JavaClientPath="/QvJava/opendoc.htm?document=" CustomPrefix="custom\" AlwaysTunnel="False" Username="SA_Qlikview" Password="Encrypted=sameecriptedpasswordhere==">
<IPFilter>
</IPFilter>
</AddQvs>
<AddQvs Port="4747" ProtocolPrefix="http://" Machine="USAP051" LinkMachineName="USAP051" DMSMode="False" AlwaysUseFallbackKey="False" RegistryBaseKey="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\QlikTech\QlikViewServer\Settings 7" FallbackRegistryBaseKey="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\QlikTech\QlikViewServer\Settings 7" PluginClientPath="/QvPlugin/opendoc.htm?document=" JavaClientPath="/QvJava/opendoc.htm?document=" CustomPrefix="custom\" AlwaysTunnel="False" Username="SA_Qlikview" Password="Encrypted=sameecriptedpasswordhere==">
<IPFilter>
</IPFilter>
</AddQvs>
</QlikviewServers>
<DirectoryServiceSearchPaths>
<AddPath LdapPath="LDAP:" Username="" Password="" />
</DirectoryServiceSearchPaths>
</ServerSettings>
</Settings>

Not applicable
Author

Hi Tyler,

Very interesting. I have two questions though:

1.When a user opens a doc that resides on USAP049 it will allocate memory and cpu from that server am I correct?

2. Do you know if this can be achieved in the same way in ver 9? The settings.xml doesn't exist in the folder path you mentioned in ver 9 but I guess you would change the config.xml under C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\QlikTech\QvWebServer instead

<AccessPoint>
<Path>/QvAJAXZfc/AccessPoint.aspx</Path>
<AjaxClientPath>/QvAJAXZfc/opendoc.htm</AjaxClientPath>
<JavaClientPath>/QvJava/opendoc.htm</JavaClientPath>
<PluginClientPath>/QvPlugin/opendoc.htm</PluginClientPath>
<AuthenticationLevel>Always</AuthenticationLevel>
<DefaultPreferedClient>Plugin</DefaultPreferedClient>
<HighlightNotExecutedJobs>False</HighlightNotExecutedJobs>
<HighlightThresholdMinutes>60</HighlightThresholdMinutes>
<CustomUserAddress>http://localhost:4735/qtds.asmx</CustomUserAddress>
<AllowCmdUrl>False</AllowCmdUrl>
<Target>_self</Target>
<UserPrefix>CUSTOM\</UserPrefix>
<QvsAuthenticationProt>Negotiate</QvsAuthenticationProt>
<AddCluster>
<Name>QVS@SEAP01</Name>
<LoadBalancing>Random</LoadBalancing>
<AddQvs>
<Machine>SEAP01</Machine>
<Port>4747</Port>
<LinkMachineName>SEAP01</LinkMachineName>
<AlwaysTunnel>False</AlwaysTunnel>
<ProxyMode>True</ProxyMode>
<Weight>1</Weight>
<Username />
<Password>Encrypted=xxxxxxxxxx=</Password>
</AddQvs>
</AddCluster>
</AccessPoint>

best regards,

Johan

Not applicable
Author

1.When a user opens a doc that resides on USAP049 it will allocate memory and cpu from that server am I correct?

Yes. If a user opens the "Dashboard" and that file has been distributed to the USAP049 Server Resource, the users' session will be supported by the QVS.exe running on USAP049: so all CPU and memory will be held on usap049.

2. We are using QV 8.5 so I cannot speak to version 9. Our experience has been, though, that clustering and 'load balancing' does NOT work in 8.5. We've been pressured to upgrade to Server/Publisher 9 to achieve clustering (of licenses and applications), but we have not been satisfied with the performance testing we've done for version 9. Hopefully v 10 will outperform v 9 in this regard.

Not applicable
Author

Hi

Version 9 SR5.

You need to add to whole AddCluster key.

<AddCluster>
<Name>QVS@SEAP01</Name>
<LoadBalancing>Random</LoadBalancing>
<AddQvs>
<Machine>SEAP01</Machine>
<Port>4747</Port>
<LinkMachineName>SEAP01</LinkMachineName>
<AlwaysTunnel>False</AlwaysTunnel>
<ProxyMode>True</ProxyMode>
<Weight>1</Weight>
<Username />
<Password>Encrypted=xxxxxxxxxx=</Password>