Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to increase the "Field Text" limit (current 255 characters)

Hello, I am brand new on QV, and right now I am importing and excel file, however, I found that I have a text field limit to less than 255 characters.

Is there any way to increase that limit? or is there any other form to show the text?

I just want to show the full text on a field (the full text has around 1500 characters).

In advance thank you for your help.,

Regards

Victor Avila

7 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Victor,

with what version of QV and Excel are you working? I don't think there is such a limit and just imported an Excel 2003 cell with >600 characters into QV11. Then showing these field values in a list box or table is no problem.

Could you maybe share one of the problematic files?

Regards,

Stefan

Not applicable
Author

Hi Stefan, I am using Q10 Personal Edition, and excel is 2007 version.

Of course I can share the excel file, file is simple one.

the image below, shows in green the text incomplete.

1.png

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Personal Edition should not be a problem (but I couldn't test this on PE).

In what kind of object are you displaying the field values (it looks like a table, pivot table?)?

If I import it, the long text will be shortened to one line with three dots ... at the end. I can set 'wrap cell text' in presentation tab to a larger line number (and it looks like you already have done this).

ventas1.png

If I hover over the cells, the complete text will be displayed as tooltip:

ventas2.png

I can't see the three dots in your cell, so maybe I missed a special setting, though I just started a new app with default settings.

I attach my app, but since you are on Personal Edition, I do not recommend to open it, since this will cost a recovery attempt.

But maybe you can attach your qvw file here?

Regards,

Stefan

Not applicable
Author

Hi Guys

I'm having same problem on Table box one field has up 1000 charater in Source data but in QV chart 255 and only 255 on export , can this be extended ?

Not applicable
Author

Apologies

Didnt mean to post that yet

Stefan, when I open your QV I can see the pop up box with all the characters , however on Export it still only has 255.

This at least has assisted me in displaying greater than 255 characters,

Any suggestions on the export would be appreciated ,

Im QV9 and Excel 2003

Thanks

A

Not applicable
Author

Hello Stefan, I download your test file and also I update my QV (2011), and everything is working OK.

Is not too bad to update my QV.

thank you for your help!!

Regards

Victor

Not applicable
Author

Hi Stefan

I have checked and we are unable to upgrade to QV11, But I have noticed that on QV 9 if I copy to table then paste into Excel It takes all the characters and not just the 255.

Do you know if its possible to create a button to do this ??

Thanks A