Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gerhardl
Creator II
Creator II

Birthday field

Hi there,

I am currently loading a bunch of our system-generated reports (.txt files) into QV to do my own analysis.

We are going to start sending Birthday SMS's to all our customers - until we developed this functionality in the system I will be manually extracting the Birthday Lists every morning.

In our Account Extract we have a [Date of Birth] field in this format: DD-MMM-YY (e.g. 01-MAR-85). In some extracts the dates also have timestamps, so:

I import this in the following way:

DATE(DATE#( left([Date of birth],11), 'DD-MMM-YY')) as [Date of birth],

This then gives me all dates as YYYY/MM/DD.

What I want to do is load a new field (derived from Date of Birth) called Birthday - the field should be equal to the Date and Month and the Current Year, e.g. if DOB is 1985/03/01 then Birthday must be 2012/03/01.

I can't figure this out - any ideas?

Thanks,

Gerhard

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CELAMBARASAN
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

Hi,

Have you tried with this?

MakeDate(Year(Today()),Month([Date of birth]),Day([Date of birth])) as Birthday

or

MakeDate(Year(Today()),Month(DATE(DATE#( left([Date of birth],11), 'DD-MMM-YY')) ),Day(DATE(DATE#( left([Date of birth],11), 'DD-MMM-YY')) )) as Birthday

Hope it helps

Celambarasan

View solution in original post

4 Replies
CELAMBARASAN
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

Hi,

Have you tried with this?

MakeDate(Year(Today()),Month([Date of birth]),Day([Date of birth])) as Birthday

or

MakeDate(Year(Today()),Month(DATE(DATE#( left([Date of birth],11), 'DD-MMM-YY')) ),Day(DATE(DATE#( left([Date of birth],11), 'DD-MMM-YY')) )) as Birthday

Hope it helps

Celambarasan

gerhardl
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks!

Second option worked perfectly.

CELAMBARASAN
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

Hi,

I think [Date of birth] field doesn't have a proper date format is it so?

Celambarasan

gerhardl
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi,

Do you mean in the original extract I pull in? No - it is DD-MMM-YY.

But once I pull it into QV using DATE(DATE#( left([Date of birth],11), 'DD-MMM-YY')) as [Date of birth],

it does.

G