Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Publisher - File Based Event Guidance?

Has anyone used file-based events in order to kick off execution of a QlikView Publisher job? Here's the workflow I have in mind:

1. Autosys is used to copy data from location 1 to location 2.

2. At the end of the Autosys job, we copy a trigger file to a specified location

3. QlikView Publisher picks up the trigger file and kicks off a job based on the presence of that file

4. Clean-up job runs and deletes the trigger file

The only way I'm aware of doing this now is to copy a trigger file that can be used by QlikView as a data source (i.e. an .xls file). Then, I can create a QlikView app to read the .xls file. My Publisher job would consist of a reload task that would fail unless the trigger file was present. So, I would make the downstream jobs dependent on the success of the first job, and then schedule the initial job to run pretty frequently - say every 10 minutes or so. This seems pretty convoluted to me, so I'm hoping that there's a more elegant solution out there.

Thanks!

DJ

2 Replies
Not applicable
Author

At the end of point 1 execute a QV reload from command line, see attached extract from QVS manual.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

A typical way to do this is to set up an EDX task (QV8) or an External Event task (QV9) in Publisher. At the end of the Autosys job, trigger the EDX task.

-Rob