Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

how convert text (January) to month (1)

hi friends,

how can I convert text "January" (February, ...) to month: 1 (2, ...) ?

Detail info:
in datasource is column "MyMonthName" (with values: January, February, March, ... ) and column "MyMonthID" (with related values: I, II, III, IV, ..., XII)
Now I want after select of month "January" (in QlikView object ListBox with field "MyMonthName") and select of year (eg.2010) (in object Year) create text with date "1.1.2010"

5 Replies
lucas4bi
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hello,

if you dont wanna change your SET MonthNames format (which would automatically makes u able to compare the month "February" with number 2 for example) then you could use this:

Month_Number:

LOAD distinct

RECNO() AS Month_Number,

MyMonthName

resident MyTable while RecNo()<=12;

This way you can use Month_Number when u need to compare the month as text, having it associated with MyMonthName.

Not applicable
Author

I find solution:

=num(month(date#(MyMonthName,'MMM')))

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Juraj

The Month() function should do what you need. It returns a dual value, with a text representation of Jan, Feb, Mar... and a numeric value 1, 2, 3.If your data table also contains a Year field (like the script below), then you can select records for that month and year if you create listboxes for MyMonthName and MyYearName:

DATATABLE:
LOAD TranDate AS Date,
Month(TranDate) AS MyMonthName,
Year(TranDate) AS MyYearName,
;
SQL SELECT
TranDate,
FROM ...
;

If you must get the date as a value when the Month and Year are selected in listoxes, then I suggest that you create a variable like this in your script:

Set vMyDate = MakeDate(myYearName, MyMonthName);

Now vMyDate will contain 1.1.2010 when Jan and 2010 are selected. It will contain null if no month or no year is selected.

Hope that helps

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Not applicable
Author

Hi JurajChovan!

For the text with the name of the month, is actually converted to a month value, try this:

Date( Date# ( MyMonthName,'MMM'),'MMM')

God bless you!

Stive

Brazil

manjunatha_av
Contributor
Contributor