Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Variable For Dummies

Hi guys,

I would like to seek help if there is a specific documentation on how to use variables and when to use it? I'm kinda new in QlikView and i'm having challenges understanding variables. I know how to create a variable but I can't get the idea on how and when to use it.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

there are thousands of ways to use a variable. I'll give two examples to get you started.

Theme: when using, custom, colors it's quite a job to manually change all objects. Instead - define a variable to hold your color definition and you only need to change that to affect all objects:

SET vColor9                    = 'RGB(221,238,252)';          //Light blue

Then use with $ expansion in calculated color $(vColor9)

Navigation:

Lets asume you have a chart that should only show if certain conditions are met. A home made tab perhaps. Then you assign a varable the tab value and set a show condition for the chart.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

there are thousands of ways to use a variable. I'll give two examples to get you started.

Theme: when using, custom, colors it's quite a job to manually change all objects. Instead - define a variable to hold your color definition and you only need to change that to affect all objects:

SET vColor9                    = 'RGB(221,238,252)';          //Light blue

Then use with $ expansion in calculated color $(vColor9)

Navigation:

Lets asume you have a chart that should only show if certain conditions are met. A home made tab perhaps. Then you assign a varable the tab value and set a show condition for the chart.

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

Check the Set Analysis section, it has examples of using variables in Set Analysis expressions.

Hope the below URL also helps you.

http://www.quickqlearqool.nl/?p=902

Regards,

Jagan.