Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Opening QV documents by pressing a button out of another QV document from Access Point

Hello,

We are planning to migrate the current QV standalone situation at our customer to a new QV-server. All documents should be accessed within the Access Point by using an internet browser.

But, our customer is using several QV-apps now as a menu where user can open another QV-application by pressing a button on the menu page. In the properties of the buttons a link is created to the physical path where the (sub) QV-app is stored. When we test to open those sub documents by using the Access Point (QV webportal), the subdocuments cannot be opened because of the physical path that is placed in the hyperlink.

When you look at the URL that is created by pressing the button to open the subdocument, the link is not logical. It looks like: http://qvserver01/qlikview/g:/data/qlikview/test.qvw.

a) is it possible to open subdocuments out of another document by using the QV webportal?

b) if so, what is the correct method / syntax for the location of the subdocuments? Examples please!

Fyi: customer is using latest QV server (downloaded last week) on a Win2008 Std R2 x64 server with QV webserver.

Kind regards,

Patrick Strooij

Provelu

2 Replies
Not applicable
Author

It is definitely possible to open new documents from a separate QlikView file - we do it to manage all of our internal demos. The syntax for the HTML address pasted below (Web address and Server name removed):

='http://[IPor WEB ADDRESS]/QvAJAXZfc/AP/AccessPoint.aspx?open=&id=QVS@[SERVER NAME]%7CIPD%20-%20Structured/CRE/NKF%20Vision%20-%20Office%20v1.0.qvw&client='&CLIENT

The CLIENT at the back is for a variable that calls out either Plugin, AJAX or JAVA depending on how the user wants to open the file, we provide a front page where the user clicks on their file type. Looking at your link above, I'm not sure you need to reference the G: drive, and I believe you need the client type to be called at the end. Not sure how it works referencing the server name at the front end instead of a fixed IP or web address, that may also cause some issues depending on if your client is looking at it over the web or through an internal system.

Our implementation works on a WinServer 2003, x64 running 9.0SR2. We've tested with all browser and extension types with great success.

Hope this helps.

David Music

Not applicable
Author

Yes it is possible, i have implemented similar solutions and is actually straightforward to implement.

Firstly the target (sub) QVW should also be published on the accessportal (the distribute option under documents/source documents in the QEMC). This is important as this gives you complete control over the filepaths and access rights. I would alos recommend creating a sharename for the "published" qvw documents folder as it is more convienent than full unc's and drive letters may cause conflicts (especially if you have to move server for any reason)

Once the sub qvw is published and you can see it in the access portal, luanch it from the access portal ususing the preferred client (ajax/java/ie), this will give you the app's URL in the browser addrress bar, simply highlight it and copy it to the clipboard.

Now open the main qvw with the QV full client program and create a button

From the actions tab, click add then choose "open url" from the external group

paste in the url you copied earlier (ticking open in same window is personal preference)

now save and publish (distribute) the main qvw to the access point as normal (bear in mind that a user opening the main qvw then pressing the button will consume two document cal's)

I would not recommend a mixed mode e.g. where you open the main document via the access portal then intiate a users local qvw through the full client as you lose control over file permissions, CAL usage and usage loggin.