Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to create a pie chart with positive and negative values

Hi all,

I have to create pie charts of 11 products in 4 different regions, but one of the pie is not visible its showing error "Positive and Negative values in chart" i know that there are some negative values in the data, but can any one tell how to show a pie

any help is appriciated

22 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi Celambarasan,

There is no change in the data values, they still are same its does not show any negative percentage

CELAMBARASAN
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

Hi,

How did you calculating percentage?

Celambarasan

CELAMBARASAN
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

Hi,

If you used Relative uncheck it.

Use the Below Expression

=if(Sum(FieldName)>0,Num(Sum(FieldName)/Sum(Total FieldName),'###.##%'),Num(Fabs(Sum(FieldName))/Sum(Total FieldName),'-###.##%'))

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Jagan for your help

Not applicable
Author

Thanks alot for your efforts Celambarasan now its has worked,

one suggestion you syntax is works well when the expression is direct or small, but if we have a huge calculation in the syntax then its a bit difficult to check all the calculation.

I Really appreciate your help thanks alot

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

Of course you can "force" the display by using absolute values, but this data is misleading.

For example, assume we have 3 groups,

A: 100

B: 200

C: -100

Total: 200

Using absolute values:

A: 100   25%

B: 200   50%

C: 100   25%

Total: 400

A and C are 25% of what? The value of 400 has no meaning in reality, it is purely a mathematical construct. so 25% is also meaningless, as is the pie chart...

This is just my opinion, and this information may be useful in your particular case, but I would caution against this approach as it is arithmetically doubtful. Use it at your peril.

Regards

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
etay_netintent
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Hi

i have been off line for  day..... and was amazed to see the lively discussion about this point.

Let me say again - It is not possible to show negative values in a pie. I am trying to say that physically it is not possible to represent a negative slice area.

Showing negative values on a positive slice ?? That is the solution that was given. As has been stated in this thread it is a skewed presentation of the data.

I would be wary of showing negative values on a positive slice area.

If you are happy with the solution - so much better....

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jonathan,

I really agree with you, what you suggest is correct, even i am looking some other option to represent the data, but the client want it in this fashion

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

If the client is insistent on showing with pie charts, how about splitting the data into positive and negative, and showing it on two pies? eg pie of debits and pie of credits.

The two expressions would then be:

Sum(if (val < 0, val, 0))

Sum(if(val >= 0, val, 0))

Regards

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Not applicable
Author

Hi Etay,

Thatz true we cant dispaly both negative and positive percentage in pie chart, but there is no other way to represent the data except the bar chart, can you think of any other way,