Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you use calculated dimensions in an extension?

Hi !

Anyone know if you can use calculated dimensions in a extension?

Thanks!
Mike

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Brian_Munz
Employee
Employee

First the bad news...

There is a bug in QV11 that makes it not possible to set up calculated dimensions in (at least) extensions.  The bug has been logged and will be fixed in a future SR.

Now the good-ish news....

There's a workaround (thanks to Erik Wetterberg) to hardcode the calculated dimension in the extension's Definition.xml file (which is found in the extension's folder).

So, if you wanted to do a calculated dimension on the first dimension of the extension, you'd add the following code toward the end of the Definition.xml:

<InitiateName="Chart.Dimension.0.Field" value="=1+1" />

The value is of course the calculated dimension.

Rather than constantly having to modify this file to test the calculated dimension in the extension, I'd suggest testing it on a regular qlikview object first to make sure it's solid before hardcoding it.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Ditto on Mike's question...

Any sage advice around how to deal with calculated dimensions when working with an extension?

Brian_Munz
Employee
Employee

First the bad news...

There is a bug in QV11 that makes it not possible to set up calculated dimensions in (at least) extensions.  The bug has been logged and will be fixed in a future SR.

Now the good-ish news....

There's a workaround (thanks to Erik Wetterberg) to hardcode the calculated dimension in the extension's Definition.xml file (which is found in the extension's folder).

So, if you wanted to do a calculated dimension on the first dimension of the extension, you'd add the following code toward the end of the Definition.xml:

<InitiateName="Chart.Dimension.0.Field" value="=1+1" />

The value is of course the calculated dimension.

Rather than constantly having to modify this file to test the calculated dimension in the extension, I'd suggest testing it on a regular qlikview object first to make sure it's solid before hardcoding it.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for all of the information Brian !  I definitely appreciate it.

Just for competion, here's the Definition.xml file that I used to confirm that this works.  Note the space between the words Initiate and Name.  Also, the line Dimension Initial appears to be required for this to work too.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<ExtensionObject Label="My Extension Label">

<Dimension Initial=""/>

<Measurement Initial=""/>

<Initiate Name="Chart.Dimension.0.Field" value="=if(Name='One','One',NULL())" />

</ExtensionObject>

Not applicable
Author

You can also set a calculated dimension dynamically from the javascript code by doing:

this.Layout.SetProperty('Chart.Dimension.0.Field', "=if(Name='One','One',NULL())");

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the tip George !  I'll have to give that a try

Bjorn_Wedbratt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Have you tried the following in Properties.qvpp?

<div class='prop-grid_clear prop-grid_prepend-1 prop-grid_span-5 prop-grid_standard-height prop-grid_label'>

Expression

</div>

<div class='prop-grid_span-10 prop-grid_last prop-grid_standard-height'>

<input class='prop-grid_checkbox prop-expression-input' type='text' style='width:94%;' avq='edit:.Chart.Dimension.0.Field' />

<span propicontype='expression' avq='dlgprop:.Chart.Dimension.0.Field:Expression.qvpp'></span>

</div>

Not applicable
Author

Hey Brian,

I tried the suggested sample but its not working for me.

Here my Definition.xml file below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<ExtensionObject Label="Google Maps" Description="Google Maps Marker" PageHeight="800">

<PropertiesPage Version="11" File="" />

<Dimension Label="Dimension" Initial=""/>

<Dimension Label="Dim2" Initial="Test123" />

<Measurement Label="Expression" Initial="" Multiple=""/>

<Measurement Label="Expression2" Initial="" Multiple=""/>

<Measurement Label="Expression3" Initial="" Multiple=""/>

<Initiate Name="Chart.Dimension.1.Field" value="=if($(vShowRoute), [Last Known Location], [IDS Driver Assets]" />

</ExtensionObject>

Can you have a look and see what i'm missing?  "Last Known Location" & "IDS Driver Assets" are field name within my dashboard.