Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Community Office Hours, March 20th. Former Talend Community users, ask your questions live. SIGN UP
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zagzebski
Creator
Creator

Subtract from a variable

New to set analysis...

I my set analysis expression works but I am trying to add one more piece: IncurredMonth={'=$((vMaxMonth)-1)'}

It then takes my results to "0". all I want is to take the variable "vMaxMonth" and subtract one from it but somhow my syntax must be off.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable

hello

Since you create the variable (tools / variable overview) can be defined as -1 and no need to put quotes. example:

VarMesAnt = Month (num (if ((month-1) = 0.12, week-1)

, '#, # # 0', '.' , ','))

regards

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Try double-quotes instead of the singles.

Not applicable

hello

Since you create the variable (tools / variable overview) can be defined as -1 and no need to put quotes. example:

VarMesAnt = Month (num (if ((month-1) = 0.12, week-1)

, '#, # # 0', '.' , ','))

regards

zagzebski
Creator
Creator
Author

Nothing seems to have an effect:

If I do just:

sum({<[IncurredYear]={$(vMaxYear)},[IncurredMonth]=,[AMOUNT_TYPE]={'ACTUAL'}}>}[Ending_Balance_CNT])

it returns the same is if I add the extra criteria:

sum({<[IncurredYear]={$(vMaxYear)},[IncurredMonth]=,[AMOUNT_TYPE]={'ACTUAL'},[IncurredMonthNum]={"=vMaxMonth1"}>}[Ending_Balance_CNT])

The expression is pretty much ignoring: [IncurredMonthNum]={"=vMaxMonth1"}  so I must be writing it wrong.

vMaxMonth1 is a variable that is = to 3.

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Can you post your app?

spsrk_84
Creator III
Creator III

Hi,

sum({<[IncurredYear]={$(vMaxYear)},[IncurredMonth]=,[AMOUNT_TYPE]={'ACTUAL'},

[IncuredMonth= {$(=vMaxMonth -1)}>}[Ending_Balance_CNT])

try in this way ...

if not try to calculate or get the month-1 value into other variable and pass that variable into Incurred Month.

Regards,

Shiva

masha-ecraft
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

It should be IncurredMonth={'$(=$(vMaxMonth)-1)'}

$(= ...) instructs Qlikview to evaluate the expression inside the brackets and $(vMaxMonth)-1 is the expression to be evaluated.

zagzebski
Creator
Creator
Author

Shiva - thanks a ton! That worked.

Steve

zagzebski
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks Masha..

Based on what you said:

"It should be IncurredMonth={'$(=$(vMaxMonth)-1)'}

$(= ...) instructs Qlikview to evaluate the expression inside the brackets and $(vMaxMonth)-1 is the expression to be evaluated."

why in my expression which now works

does [IncurredYear]={$(vMaxYear)} not have an "= "before the variable vMaxYear

but

[IncurredMonth= {$(=vMaxMonth -1)} does have an "=" before the variable vMaxMonth -1

Whole expression:

sum({<[IncurredYear]={$(vMaxYear)},[IncurredMonth]=,[AMOUNT_TYPE]={'ACTUAL'},

[IncurredMonth= {$(=vMaxMonth -1)}>}[Ending_Balance_CNT])

masha-ecraft
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Equal sign (=) is needed when there is an expression to be evaluated, e.g $(=vMaxMonth -1).

When there is just a variable that is to be replaced with its value, e.g. $(vMaxMonth), no = sign is needed.

The difference between my example and Shiva's is that Shiva is using a variable in the expression, while I'm using the value of the variable.