Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
giuval45
Partner - Contributor III

Catalogue Generator with Report

Hi, I have uploaded a list of Products and their Images inside QLIKVIEW. In this way it is possible to select a Product and look at its Data (Product Code, Description, Size, Color, Price and so on) and Picture in the Dashboard... It works fine and it is really useful...;-) Now I'd like to print a sort of Catalogue with these Data and Images. How it is possible to print 6 Products, with their Data/Images, per page populating the Report automatically and printing it or save it in PDF?  Many thank for your help, Giulio

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Yes, that's true, banding will not iterate over the different boxes.

Banding will loop over the possible values in the given field and will print the created report once per field value (with the value selected).

So if you create a report with several chart objects, banding will select the first possible value, and print the report, then select the next possible value and print etc. (the print will be one job, so you will get one pdf file with appended pages, not many different files).

If your chart objects just use the Product field in the same way (copy&pasted the objects), selecting one product value will result in identical chart objects per page.

If you want to create catalogue, I think you can do it like this:

You need to create two indexes, one for the different pages (used for the banding / loop) and one for changing the content of your objects on one page:

Link the indexes to your product field like this:

LOAD

Product, div(RowNo()-1,6) as ProductIndex1, mod(RowNo()-1,6) as ProductIndex2;

LOAD

'Product #'&recno() as Product

autogenerate 60;

Index1 will run from 0 to 9 (10 pages), Index2 will be used for 6 objects per page (this layout is pretty arbitrary and can be easily adjusted).

Then create 6 objects like text objects:

=only({<ProductIndex2 = {0}>} Product)

=only({<ProductIndex2 = {1}>} Product)

=only({<ProductIndex2 = {2}>} Product)

Create a report and copy the 6 objects to the report page.

Use banding (over field ProductIndex1), clear all selections and create a print preview.

Hope this helps,

Stefan

View solution in original post

6 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Try using the Banding feature in Report properties.

So first create a Report and drag the objects you like on the report, each objects should display the correct data if you select a value in your product field.

Then open the report properties and go to Selections tab. Activate the banding by checking the box and select the field you want to iterate over.

Hope this helps,

Stefan

giuval45
Author

Hi Swuehl,

many thank for your reply...

I had tried using the "banding" flag by Product, both in the Report settings than in the Page settings, but in any case when I do the Preview of the report the system start to process the Data and the Images, reading from the database, putting the "same" Product Data and the "same" Product Image in all the 6 boxes I have in the Report...

In this way I obtain 450 pages with the same Product/Image in 6 Boxes, instead of 75 pages of 6 Products7Images per page...

It seems it is missing a way to say to the Report to itinerate in the different boxes, instead of the different pages...

New many thank for your help,

Best regards,

Giulio

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Yes, that's true, banding will not iterate over the different boxes.

Banding will loop over the possible values in the given field and will print the created report once per field value (with the value selected).

So if you create a report with several chart objects, banding will select the first possible value, and print the report, then select the next possible value and print etc. (the print will be one job, so you will get one pdf file with appended pages, not many different files).

If your chart objects just use the Product field in the same way (copy&pasted the objects), selecting one product value will result in identical chart objects per page.

If you want to create catalogue, I think you can do it like this:

You need to create two indexes, one for the different pages (used for the banding / loop) and one for changing the content of your objects on one page:

Link the indexes to your product field like this:

LOAD

Product, div(RowNo()-1,6) as ProductIndex1, mod(RowNo()-1,6) as ProductIndex2;

LOAD

'Product #'&recno() as Product

autogenerate 60;

Index1 will run from 0 to 9 (10 pages), Index2 will be used for 6 objects per page (this layout is pretty arbitrary and can be easily adjusted).

Then create 6 objects like text objects:

=only({<ProductIndex2 = {0}>} Product)

=only({<ProductIndex2 = {1}>} Product)

=only({<ProductIndex2 = {2}>} Product)

Create a report and copy the 6 objects to the report page.

Use banding (over field ProductIndex1), clear all selections and create a print preview.

Hope this helps,

Stefan

giuval45
Author

Hi Stefan, really many thank... It is a good solution... and it works...;-) Now I'll try to "complicate" your solution in order that it can work "dinamically" (in function of the selected order or products to print... actually it print only in the order created during the Load) and to make "distinct" print, as the Products have different colors and I need to print a single Product with its different colors, instead of a Box for every Product-Color. In any case I'd like to thank you for your preciuos and factive help. If you'll pass nearby Milano I'll be glad to offer a lunch of Good Italian Food...;-) Best regards, Giulio

Not applicable

Hi Giulio,

did you suceed in having a "more dynamic" catalogue report?

I mean for example have QV automatically decide how many products to print in a page based on how many color versions the products have etc.

Thank you,

Roberto    

giuval45
Author

Hi Roberto,

I have done a lot of test on this regard, but I have had to give up...

I have not been able to change the "single" images in the Box (4 x page) of the Report... so I had the same image in all of them...

I believe that the Report Generator inside Qlikview could be improved...;-)

So I have commissioned the development of a "dedicated" Catalog application to an external company, that have used a their specific tool.

Best regards,

Giulio