Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Hw to create reports using the Pubs database

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to create some sample reports using the database there i got some doughts.

1)How to break a relations ships in qlikview

2)What type of scrip we need to right

3)Any example scripts are there

4)How to load maps?

i am uploading my sample report with db files

4 Replies
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi there,

The first thing that you need to do is to start by only bringing in the tables and fields that you actually require in your document.  This will clear things up a lot.  If you have Data Islands (eg. Employees) that are not connected to the rest of the data model that is almost always a problem that needs looking at.  As are Synthetic Keys - which is where you see extra tables in the model with $ signs in the names.

QlikView will join on any fields which have the same name and will never join on fields with different names.  Rename fields with the 'as' statement to force or break joins.

If you have a join that requires a composite key (eg. two or more fields) you will need to create the join key yourself.  In the parent table you then have the join key and all the fields in it, in any table that joins you can have just the key - as any joined fields will be available in the parent.  The code to build the key will be like:

Title_Id & ':' & Royalty as RoyaltyKey,

I have posted a blog article on getting your data model right which can be read here:

http://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/perfect-your-qlikview-data-model/

It focuses on bigger data models than the Pubs demo, but the techniques are the same.  There is also a link in that post to my previous post on ApplyMap - which to my mind is the single most useful technique to sorting out any data source.

The comments on QVD's can be disregarded for a small demo - but when you step up to production documents will become very important.

There are other posts on my site, plus links to a large number of other people posting QlikTips and helpful articles.  If you get stuck you can always post back to the community.

Hope that helps,

Steve

http://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/

Not applicable
Author

Thanks a lot Steve Dark it had help a lot,

Can u make some sample reports for me using the Pubs database?

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Unfortunately I am busy with client work at the moment.  Someone else may have already built a pubs demo that they may be happy to share.

- Steve

Not applicable
Author

Its ok thanks Steve Dark.