Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Regarding Dynamic CAL assigment

Hi,

If  Allow Dynamic CAL assignment option is checked, a new document CAL will be automatically gratnted to a new user who is connecting to QV server 1st time, as long as there are Document CALs avaialble.

so in the above statement as long as there are Document CALs avaialble means 'No. of document CALs allocated to this document' should always be set to some values.

Example: If 'No. of document CALs allocated to this document' = 10 then first 10 users will grant Document CAL for 11th user I need to assign it manually?

Br

Anta

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Anta,

Yes, that's right. As I mentioned above, all three conditions must apply so any unlicensed user can lease a Document CAL license from the Server:

1. Document CALs available Server-wise,
  2. Document CAL Allocated No >= No. of users actually accessing,
  3. Allow dynamic assignment of licenses.

Regards.

Miguel

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Anta,

If you allocate 10 Document CALs to that document then you can only assign either manually or dynamically 10 licenses, but in either case never more than the number of licenses allocated. If you need, according to your example, the user 11 to access it, then you need to increase the number of allocated licenses to 11, then assign it manually.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Correct..!!  I read in the reference manual that

"If  Allow Dynamic CAL assignment option is checked, a new document CAL will be automatically gratnted to a new user who is connecting to QV server 1st time, as long as there are Document CALs avaialble."

my question is, in the above statement what is mean by "as long as there are Document CALs avaialble" ?

Does Document CAL avaiable means No of document CALs avaialble on Server or 'No. of document CALs allocated to this document'?

Br

Anta

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Anta,

That means both: as long as there are Document CALs allocated to that document AND available, obviously.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

I am asking this becasue I have mark Allow Dynamic CAL assignment on server but user is not able to grant it. is it due to I have specified 'No. of document CALs allocated to this document' say 25

Br

Anta

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Anta,

Sorry but I don't understand what you mean by "user is not able to grant it". First: say the Server has 100 Document CAL licenses, all unassigned. Second: You allocate 25 licenses to a given Document.qvw and make then dynamically assigned.

When user 26 reach, he gets an error message, although there are 75 licenses left in the Server, but the document has a limitation of 25, that has been exceeded. Third: now you increase the allocation to 30, and the setting of dynamic assignment is still checked. When User 26 logs in, now he does get a license assigned.

What is wrong in that scenario?

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

My understanding is if user want to access any .qvw file

1. Document CAL licenses should be there on the server.

2. If they are avaialble then we need to allocate it to that document through option 'No. of document allocated to this document'

3. If this both condition satisfies then only user will get a license dynamically.

if Server has Document CALs but the option  'No. of document allocated to this document' =25 (supposed) in that case 26th user will not get a document CAL, right?

I used to assigned document CAL manually so the 'No. of document allocated to this document' is always less than the next user who tries to get it.. that's why a user can not get a document CAL even if Allow Dynamic CAL assignment option is checked, right?

Br

Anta

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Anta,

Yes, that's right. As I mentioned above, all three conditions must apply so any unlicensed user can lease a Document CAL license from the Server:

1. Document CALs available Server-wise,
  2. Document CAL Allocated No >= No. of users actually accessing,
  3. Allow dynamic assignment of licenses.

Regards.

Miguel