etl_tools
Creator
Creator

Help with connector testing.

Just wandering if someone can help us testing our ETL-Tools QlikView Connector

http://www.etl-tools.com/etl-tools/qlikview-connector/overview.html

Configuration win7 64

QlikView V10 SR3 and SR4 64

Fo some reason QlikView is not able to run Connector, EG it does not start at all

We are able to see it in the connectors list but when we click connect we get an error.

As usually it works fine on the devepers mashine but it does not on the customer's

I bet it has something to do with windows security settings, but which ones?

We tried disabling antivirus but it did not help.

Mike

10 Replies
hallquist_nate
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

I have tested this out using QV11, on a server with similar specs and had some issues getting it going.  Just a few background questions.  What licensing do you have, trial or purchased?  Also, The customer that you reference, how are they trying to use it?  My understanding is that you install it on a server and let QVS use it to refresh apps.  Once the code bit is in the app, it should be good to go.  I remember it being some code, and not something that you actually choose in a dropdown.

Nate

etl_tools
Creator
Creator
Author

Nate

I have tested this out using QV11, on a server with similar specs and had some issues getting it going. 

>>Which kind of issues did you get?

Just a few background questions.  What licensing do you have, trial or purchased? 

>>Trial should work for 30 days

The customer that you reference, how are they trying to use it?

>>>They are trying to load >1mil records from the MySQL database

My understanding is that you install it on a server and let QVS use it to refresh apps.  Once the code bit is in the app, it should be good to go.  I remember it being some code, and not something that you actually choose in a dropdown.

>>>Yes you are correct

http://www.etl-tools.com/etl-tools/qlikview-connector/overview.html

Mike

hallquist_nate
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

The issues in getting it going were just user error things, nothing to report home about.  Other than that, I think it works great.  I also tested out the other parts of the tool, like the QVX connector, and the ETL Ent, and Pro versions.  I love it.  It is nice to know of a product that delivers what it sells.  If we run accross a customer that could use a tool like this, my first recommendation is Advanced ETL. 

The only realy enhancement that I would like to see is something that would allow me to connect Crystal Reports to QVX files.  IF I had that, I would have the bull by the horns. 

As for the Firewall issue, is there anything in the logs?  Maybe the user account running the process is not on the ACL to go back through the firewall, though not likely.  Also, is the user account used have Permissions to get into the SQL database?  Is this a domain account and is the is the Account given proper domain permissions?  It sounds to me that maybe the Account needs to be added to some of the SQL Admin groups in AD on the domain of the local server that has the target database.  I would start there.  You might see some Audit failures to the Database in the log files on the target server.

Nate

etl_tools
Creator
Creator
Author

The problem is that the conenctor is not starting at all

And there is nothing in the logs

Mike

hallquist_nate
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

You mention in your post that you get an error when click connect.  Out of idle curiosity, what is that error message?

etl_tools
Creator
Creator
Author

The error message was cannot connect.

Anyway we have found the problems.

The customer has disabled UAC but he did not restart the computer after that. we did some tests and tweaked our ETL-Tools QlikView connector so it works now even when UAC is enabled.

Here is the feeback from the customer.

"that’s good actually, now we plan connect telco database,  size 51bilion records per month. that is our future plan"

He was trying to load large amount of data from MySQL via ODBC and it was constantly failing. Since our QlikView connector connects directly to MySQL it is not failing.

Mike

rbecher
MVP
MVP

Interesting, I would like to see how one can handle 51 billion records in QlikView.

How connects etl_tools "directly" to MySql? Not via ODBC/OLEDB?

Anyways, It would be also interetsing to know if the same "constantly failing" would occur with a JDBC connection, but I presume not...

Astrato.io Head of R&D
etl_tools
Creator
Creator
Author

I doubt that it is going to be 51 billion more likely 51 million.

Most databases have naitive API.

And this is what we use when we can.

Standard interfaces like ODBC,OLE DB, JDBC, .NET Providers is the way to slow things down but they are easier to use for the programmer.

There are some other ways to slow things down as well

Mike

rbecher
MVP
MVP

So, do you mean libmysql? Same is used in standard database APIs like ODBC. I doubt that standard database APIs slows down anything. This is more related to environment or parametrisation, indeed.

Astrato.io Head of R&D