Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Qvmaster2019
Creator
Creator

Reload Engine:Failed to contact service

I am trying to reload a supporting tasks (batch file).

The error looks like this (Status.jpg)

Status.JPG

The tasks looks like this (Supporting tasks.jpg).

Supporting tasks.JPG

The batch file,that works when manually opened,has this code

pushd "\\FILES-NA\QV_Production\QlikViewSource\DataSources\XMLFiles\Monitor"

del "\\FILES-NA\QV_Production\QlikViewSource\DataSources\XMLFiles\Monitor\*.xml"

exit

Any ideas how to fix this one and make the batch file reload?

10 Replies
Karl_Humma
Employee
Employee

Do you have a publisher license key? You can not run supporting tasks without one, from the reference manual (p.39):

7.8 Reload Engine

In the absence of a Publisher license, the Reload Engine provides a subset of the Publisher distribution

services. The Reload Engine only reloads user documents and the settings are defined directly in the user

documents.

Qvmaster2019
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Karl,

In fact, we do have publisher key.

What we are trying to execute in the supporting task is a batch file to run a certain executable that would extract CAL allocation (not usage). Then it failed so the Reload engine shows that error.

Karl_Humma
Employee
Employee

Great! In that case you should create this task under the qds@qvpubdca01 instead and it will run if the cmd line reference to "C:\LicenseAllocationTool\CalAllocation.bat" is actually on the machine where the qds is installed and the service account running the qds has access to the .bat file.  Also remove the cmd.exe /c you only need the "C:\LicenseAllocationTool\CalAllocation.bat" and it will run fine.

/Karl

P.S. That reload engine showing the red x is not a task error it is actually a "status" of the service itself error saying the service is disconnected it a bug, i've seen that before in version 10.  The reload engine should have gone away when you entered your publisher license key.  There is a bad reference in your qvpr which causes that reload engine reference to show up.

Qvmaster2019
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Karl,

That’s one thing. The task (that runs a bat file to open a certain executable) is failing.

I have filed the concern to Qlikview Support and they mention something like this (which also fails. Need to try the executable)

Hello!

There are sometimes problems running .bat or .vbs scripts directly from a supporting task as the supporting task will only run executable files and .bat and .vbs files do not always get picked up as executable.

But it should be possible to run the bat script by adding a task that uses cscript (or wscript), like this:

cscript "c:\LicenseAllocationTool\CalAllocationTool.bat"

Karl_Humma
Employee
Employee

Have you tried copying "c:\LicenseAllocationTool\CalAllocationTool.bat" to qds@qvpubdca01 >external programs and running from there? Bat files do work I have many of them on our internal deployment here at Qliktech.  They are sometimes tricky to setup but when you get it right they are very useful and helpful.  I usually place my .bat files on a shard drive since I have clustered qds servers run them. 

/karl

Qvmaster2019
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Karl,

Here is one of my setup.

I am trying to place the task under qds@qvpubdca01 but it appears in ReloadEngine@test-qvdca01.

Supporting tasks 2.JPG

Karl Humma wrote:

Have you tried copying "c:\LicenseAllocationTool\CalAllocationTool.bat" to qds@qvpubdca01 >external programs and running from there? Bat files do work I have many of them on our internal deployment here at Qliktech.  They are sometimes tricky to setup but when you get it right they are very useful and helpful.  I usually place my .bat files on a shard drive since I have clustered qds servers run them. 

/karl

Qvmaster2019
Creator
Creator
Author

Also, for the CalAllocation.bat, here is my setup:

Supporting Tasks 3.JPG

Still to no avail...

Karl_Humma
Employee
Employee

Is this a one machine setup?  Is the QDS running on the same machine the .bat file resides.  Does the user running the qds service have access to run the bat file?

/Karl

Qvmaster2019
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Karl,

We have at least two machines ( we call it Test and Production). The QDS and the .bat reside on the same location. I am not sure how to check if the qds service has access to run the bat file since I assume that it should.

Thanks!