Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Using dimension value to sum records outside of dimension

I have a problem that should be quite simple to solve, for someone who knows QlikView a little bit better than I do.

I have the following data:

LOAD * INLINE [
    GroupName, GroupValue, SortOrder, SumGroup

Turnover, 100, 10, 0

Cost of goods sold, -50, 20, 0

Contribution margin 1, 0, 30, 1

Fuelcosts, -25, 40, 0

Contribution margin 2, 0, 50, 1

];

Now I want a chart with GroupName as the dimension, sorted by SortOrder ascending, with the expression:

if(only(SumGroup)=1, 'SUMEXPRESSION', Sum(GroupValue))

Instead of SUMEXPRESSION I want a calculation that sums up all GroupValue's with a SortOrder lower than the current dimension value.

I just can't make an expression that includes the current dimension SortOrder as a variable in the expression.

If I use this expression instead of SUMEXPRESSION:

Sum(Total if(SortOrder<30,GroupValue,0))

Then Contribution margin 1 shows the correct value (because I have harcoded 30, which is Contribution margin 1's SortOrder). But I want to replace 30 with a function of some sort, that returns 30 for contribution margin 1 and 50 for contribution margin 2, dynamically.

If I use Only(SortOrder) as a separat expression in the chart, I get the correct values, but when I substitute 30 in the above expression for Only(SortOrder) I get null.

What am I doing wrong?

17 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Have you considered implementing the PL hierarchy in the data structure?

This will give you the flexibility to exclude certain PL lines (e.g. IT Expenses) and remove the need for a complicated expression.

If you use an indented pivot table, it doesn't look too bad (see attached).

Dilyana

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

I was also thinking of putting the structure in the script.  Not as a simple heirarchy but as strings of the different sums.  Dilyana's heirarchy idea seems cleaner though - does it help you?

Not applicable
Author

Dilyana,

Thank you for the example, the idea had crossed my mind, but what if I want to drill further down to the specific transaction in the turnover, wouldn't your solution expand all transactions pr. default or be completely collapsed pr. default? Either is not good.

I have marked your answer as helpful because it is an interesting way to do it. I have settled for something else, but I'm still interested in knowing if it is possible to use the dimension value as a way to sum outside of the dimension.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

The collapse/expand is not fixed, users can expand only Turnover to see the related transactions.

To answer your question, as far as I know, the dimension value cannot be used in a set analysis and it sometimes can be used in an if statement. I think in your example it's the Total that conflicts with the use of only (dimension)

Thanks,

Dilyana

http://www.capventis.com/

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I tried a solution according to my understanding, pls see the attached file.

Please note that I have modified the sample data a bit and the solution depends on sort order.

Best Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Your solution comes very close, but has the same problem I have experienced with one of the other solutions suggested.

Add GroupName as a ListBox, select all groupnames, deselect "Office Supplies", "Rent" and "Salaries".

Now only -2 remains as "Administrative expenses", but your solutions says -27 because it includes the fuelcosts which is not right, because fuelcost has a lower SortOrder than FromSortOrder of Administrative expenses.

Not applicable
Author

Pls see the attached file, may be this one works.

Best regards,

http://quickdevtips.blogspot.com/

Not applicable
Author

That seems to work exactly like I want it to. Thank you!