Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

If I knew then what I know now...

Let's play a game.

I spent way too much time yesterday trying to find the setting that would allow me to apply rounded corners to my charts.  This feature is used so frequently in the sample files that I assumed that it would be readily available.  The help document didn't but this group came to my rescue!  So, I thought it would be nice to compile a list of  "Advanced-Getting-Started" best practices.

What default settings/options/etc do you always change when creating a new QVW or when installing a fresh copy of Qlikview App?

1. Rounded Corners

In order to enable the ability to create rounded corners, set the 'Design Styling Mode' to Advanced prior to creating your QVW file.  You can set this option by selelcting: |Settings|User Preferences|Design|Design Styling Mode|=Advanced.  (If you forget to do it ahead of time, you will have to change the document properties on those documents individually: |Settings|Document Properties|General|Styling Mode|=Advanced.

5 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Peggy,

In my case, I always change first the User Preferences, Save tab. I have to do a lot of development, reloading and testing of both scripting and layout. Besides using the autosave feature, which is fine, I also use the "Use Backup" that will save with a different name as many copies of your file as you specify.

Say that you have a testDashboard.qvw and you change the setting to 3. The first time you save after giving name to the document, a file named "Version 1 of testDashboard.qvw" will be created. The second time "Version 2 of testDashboard.qvw", the fourth time "Version 1" will be replaced by "Version 4", and so on.

This is very useful when playing with section access, preventing you to lock yourself out, and allowing as well to roll back to previous versions of your developments.

All in all, what I always do when I install a new release is going tab to tab in the User Preferences (documents may vary, depending on the customer, style and so), set folders, editor colors, warning messages and so as to meet my needs.

Hope that makes sense.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Miguel.

Great feature but I am wondering if there is anyway to change the naming convention.  If I have a number of QVW files in a folder, the "families" won't sort together this way.  Instead, they will sort by how many versions there are which doesn't make too much sense. 

I would love to see something like - [My File Name - v06.qvw].   This way, they would sort together and in order. 

2. Automatically Create Backup Copies

You can create backup copies of your QVW file automatically in case you are ever in need of 'going back' to a previous version.  You can enable this functionality by selelcting: |Settings|User Preferences|Save|Use Backup|=Checked.  You can also set how many historical copies of your file will be saved.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

I agree with your suggestion, but unfortunately there is no way to change the name of the files generated by backups. You can search the Ideas section in the QlikCommunity and if this does not exist as a suggestion, feel free to add it so the R&D people can take a look at it and include as a feature, if anything, in future releases.

By the way you count on my vote on that.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Peggy,

In a new QV install, I always set on "Always use logfiles for new Documents" in Settings, User Preferences, Design.

By the way, rounded corners is a style preference, but I would not recommend it as a default. To me, it's kind of "old school clutter" so I'm happy it's not the default.

This is a great thread!

-Rob

http://robwunderlich.com

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Rob,

I agree on the rounded corner 'clutter' but I am working through duplicating examples so that I can learn the ins-and-outs of Qlikview and I was going mad looking for the feature.  It doesn't have to be a default... but I am not sure that it should be hidden either.

3. Generate Log Files for Scripts

You can create log files when you run scripts so that you can capture issues more easily.  The log file will track the timestamps and any potential error messages.  You can enable this functionality by selelcting: |Settings|User Preferences|Design|Always use logfiles for new documents|=Checked.