Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

selecting which dimensions will affect a chart

i created a chart thatcalculates EoY forcast for my budget.

the forcast is calculated as actuall expenses YTD, not including current month and to that i add total expenses of last month multiplied by number of month to EoY.

now, i would like that calculation to be effected by all dimension selections available in that page excludind date based dimensions.

i know it has somthing to do with 'sum({<dimension_name>}expression) where i will detail all dimensions that should effect the calculation,

but i cant seem to get it work.

any ideas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

If you want your calculation to be effected by all selections in fields except for example date based, you need to clear the selections in these fields, and yes, you could do this like you already stated in your post, for example like:

=sum({<Date=, Month=, Year=>} expression)

View solution in original post

5 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

If you want your calculation to be effected by all selections in fields except for example date based, you need to clear the selections in these fields, and yes, you could do this like you already stated in your post, for example like:

=sum({<Date=, Month=, Year=>} expression)

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

By default, all selections will affect the results of the expression. You can specifically prevent selections from being applied to your expression. For example

Sum({<Category=>} Value)

will ignore selections on the Category field.

If by dimension, you are referring to chart dimensions, then the TOTAL clause will control which chart dimensions affect your expression. For exampe

Sum(TOTAL <Category> Value)

will ignore the Category dimension when calculating the sum (ie will tota all Category values without regard to the dimension)

Hope that helps

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Not applicable
Author

thank you swuehl and jonathan.

it working just as i needed it.

now, in some discussions i see that users also add a '$'.

meaning:

=sum({$<Date=, Month=, Year=>} expression)

what is the '$' meant to do?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

The dollar sign is used as a set identifier here and is representing the records of the current selection.

Please check the Help, set analysis, for more details.

I also found this series of blogs quite useful:

http://iqlik.wordpress.com/2010/09/11/the-magic-of-set-analysis-syntax-and-examples/

Regards,

Stefan

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author