Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Connector to Dynamics NAV

Hi,

I want to use QlikView to work with the data of a Microsoft Dynamics NAV (Navision) application. Does exist a connector for this data source, please?

Many thanks

10 Replies
pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

You don't need a connector to Dynamics NAV. You should use the MS SQL Server OLEBD to connect to the database behind Dynamics NAV to extract the data.

On the other hand, there might be somebody with a Dynamics NAV template that can help you create your first data model and reports more quickly.

Regards.

Not applicable
Author

I think it depends on which database your Dynamics Nav is installed on.
The database could be Dynamics Nav's own format.
If that is the case you need to connect through an ODBC-connection, first installing Navisions own ODBC-client.
Be aware that the ODBC-client will use one of your businessusers license, so you might need to purchase another.
I'm not aware if their own format has been discarded or is still in use, so please forgive me if my suggestion is needless...

If your Dynamics Nav runs on SQL-server 2005 then of course you should do as suggested by Karl Pover 🙂

Best regards.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

thanks for your replies.

I intend to use NAV with SQL Server. But the right question it isn't only to refer to link simply to the underlying db. Other vendors offer NAV accelerator, to simplify and facilitate integration between QlikView and NAV at ETL level and at model data level. In few clicks it is possible to load data into a multidimensional structure built following best-practice dataware housing criterias.

Now, does QlikView offer a similar integration with Dynamics NAV?

Thanks

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Ok, you are looking for what QV calls a template which is a QV application like any other that contains the load script made to extract the most important tables from a certain ERP and contains a series of general reports to get started quickly.

I haven't seen a template for NAV in the community. I've seen plenty for SAP. I would repost your question and ask for a Dynamics NAV QlikView Template to see if anybody has one.

Regards.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Karl,

Any luck on the Dynamics NAV QV Template?

Thanks ~skip

pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Skip,

Nope, I haven't seen any Dynamics NAV QV Template in the last year. 

Karl

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Karl.

I hope some day someone will share some template for Navision...

mschreiber
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Skip, I know two NAV system integrators, which have developed a template for a quick integration von Dynamics NAV to QlikView. They are german NAV providers. First solution called 'Modus view solutions' from Modus consult: http://www.modusconsult.de/de/produkte/business-intelligence/modus-view-solutions/, the second solution "easyQlik Datamodell" from BI-Team http://www.b-i-team.de/de/biteam/loesungen/produkte/qlikview/qlikview_2012_biteam.php

Not applicable
Author

Hi all,

there is another NAV Connector "NAV2QLIK" for QlikView from QlikView Solution Provider prisma informatik GmbH located in Germany.

"The preparation and connection of ERP data from Microsoft
Dynamics NAV into QlikView usually means a tedious and time consuming task to
end users.

To simplify this process and to reduce the preparatory work
to a minimum, prisma informatik has developed the NAV2Qlik Toolbox. On the part
of users, neither profound QlikView knowledge nor elaborate support by the
internal IT department is necessary during the ETL process.  The NAV2Qlik Toolbox comes with the  N2Q Script Generator, which generates the
required QlikView Scripts for data modeling automatically. Further components
are the N2Q Grouping Function and the N2Q Templates, which provide various options
for interface design in QlikView.

Especially the customizations within their ERP data are
particularly valuable for users of BI software. For this reason and unlike
other connector solutions, NAV2Qlik delivers no pre-built script, but can
generate the QlikView data model automatically direct from the specific NAV environment.
That way, NAV2Qlik enables the transfer of any
custom-built extensions and modifications within  Microsoft Dynamics NAV - no matter how
individualized the database is. A separate number range without modifying
standard objects allows a conflict-free integration into the ERP environment."

http://www.prisma-informatik.de/qlikview/nav2qlik/