Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Expressor SQL connection

I'm trying to connect to a local SQL 2012 server, and I get the following error:

SQLSTATE:[08001], Code:[0], Msg:[expressor][ODBC SQL Server Wire Protocol driver]Connection refused. Verify Host Name and Port Number.

I have no problem connecting from Excel or SQL server Manager Studio.

The SQL server and Expressor is a local installation (on the same pc).

I have disconnected the firewall.

I works nicely when creating a ODBC DSN using the driver "SQL Server Native Client 11.0".

Could it be that the driver used in the drop down is "SQL Server"?

Best regards

Henrik

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Henrik - if you are using the drivers that come with Expressor - you should be able to connect without issue. I believe the problem may be the protocols that are enabled on the MS SQL Server. When I installed MS SQL 2012 - I needeed to enable TCP/IP in the SQL Server Configuration Manager in order to get the provided drivers to work.

Programs ->MS SQL->Configuration Tools->SQL Server Confirgutaiton Manager

sql.PNG

By default TCP/IP was not enabled. Also check your TCP/IP Dynamic ports - make sur the property is blank and does not have a 0 as a value.

Let me know how you do.

Mike Tarallo

Sr. Product Marketing Manager

QlikView Expressor

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Your problem could be that you should force 32 bit...?

When Qlikview tries to connect using 64 bit and your odbc is configured 32 bit, it won't work...

Did you try that checkbox?

Edited

I'll checked my local sql 2012, and was able to connect over ODBC.. Make sure your SQL Browser service is started and tcp/ip connection is allowed (probably configured OK since you can reach SQL from other applications...)    

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Henrik,

Are drivers for 32 bits or 64 bits? Note that you will see different ODBC names in the dialog window when you click on the "Connect" button in the script editor, hence loading different DSN.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I don't have a 32/64 bit property in Expressor. It's not in QlikView.

This is my screendump:

Capture.PNG

Henrik

Not applicable
Author

Ok, that I cannot test; I assumed perhaps the 32/64 bit could have been a problem. Since I don't have Expressor here I cannot help (hopefully others can 🙂 )

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Henrik - if you are using the drivers that come with Expressor - you should be able to connect without issue. I believe the problem may be the protocols that are enabled on the MS SQL Server. When I installed MS SQL 2012 - I needeed to enable TCP/IP in the SQL Server Configuration Manager in order to get the provided drivers to work.

Programs ->MS SQL->Configuration Tools->SQL Server Confirgutaiton Manager

sql.PNG

By default TCP/IP was not enabled. Also check your TCP/IP Dynamic ports - make sur the property is blank and does not have a 0 as a value.

Let me know how you do.

Mike Tarallo

Sr. Product Marketing Manager

QlikView Expressor

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks!

that works after restarting the SQL Server service.

Henrik

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Great to hear! - I have created a document out of this post - so others can benefit form the solution if they have the same problem. I also responded to your email with the license key. Let me know how you do.

Mike T

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
sfr_qlik
Contributor II
Contributor II

Anyone connected to SQL Azure? It works from the DSN however only the user DSN appears for me not ideal when we have different developers creating connections from the live schedule user? see no ability to use a System DSN? The supplied driver method 'Microsoft SQL server' connection fails with a "SQLSTATE:[08S01], Code:[0], Msg:[QVExpressor][ODBC SQL Server Wire Protocol driver]Socket closed."