Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

MAX Aggregation & Function

Hi all,

I'm just a beginner in QV. Hope anyone could help me on this..

Currenlty, I'm trying to create a graph that comparing Current Year Sales & Last Year Sales.

Knowing that i need to create 2 expression for this chart. I've 3 years data which is 2007, 2008 and 2009.

For example, if you select '2008' , the graph will show sales amount for 2008 & 2009.

I can get the result by using set analysis, but i'm wonder which expression is more suitable for my graph for Last Year Sales? With or wihout MAX function?

a. Sum({$<[Invoice Year]={$(=([Invoice Year]-1))}>} [Sales Amount])

OR

b. Sum({$<[Invoice Year]={$(=MAX([Invoice Year]-1))}>} [Sales Amount])

(The Max here should be aggregation or function?)

Although i've read thru the Max Aggregation & Function in Reference Manual but stil not very clear.

Appreciate anyone can clarify on this.

Thanks,

Phoebe Yaw

3 Replies
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

If you select a specific year, there should be no difference. Only one year is selected, so the max([Invoice Year]) equals the [Invoice Year]. The difference happens when you select no year or more than one year. The expression without the max() will then return nothing. The max([Invoice Year]) will give you data based on the most recent Invoice Year if none are selected, or on the maximum selected year if you've made multiple selections.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the reply!

I can understand better now.

~Phoebe

Not applicable
Author

If you take a look at the "only()" function it should do what you want. It will return the year only if you have a single value selected/possible.So your 2 expressions would be something like:

Sum({$<[Invoice Year]={$(=only([Invoice Year]))}>} [Sales Amount])

Sum({$<[Invoice Year]={$(=MAX([Invoice Year]-1))}>} [Sales Amount])

The user can pick any year and it will compare that year and the previous. You can set the calculation condition and text to check only() is returning a value also and prompt the user to select a year.