Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Two expressions loose ability to see second dimension.

Hi community,

When I make a line graph with two dimensions, one for dates and one for department I get to see sum(sales) by department for the deparments I select on all the dates. 

When I add another different expression which shares the dates dimension like temperature, I loose the ability to see the second dimension of department for the first expression. 

Now I only see the cumulative total of the first expression so all departments selected and temeperature. 

Is there away I can break this out differently to get what I want which is the departments I select as well as the temeprature in the same graph?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Try using an intersection operator * in your set expressions:

=sum({$<Department *= {'A'}> }sales)

This should make your expressions selection sensitive.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Not applicable
Author

He,

You could drop the dimension department and instead make an expression for every department (it's not ideal especially if you have a lot different categories).

For instance, sum({$<Department={'A'}> }sales) sum({$<Department={'B'}> }sales).

Hope this helps.

Not applicable
Author

That would work but it always shows the department and I only want to see selected departments.  If you make the expression conditioned to the department field equal to a certain value(department name for each department for each department expression), that works but then you can only see one department at a time so if I higlight 2 or more I see nothing.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Try using an intersection operator * in your set expressions:

=sum({$<Department *= {'A'}> }sales)

This should make your expressions selection sensitive.

Not applicable
Author

Actually swuehl, I tried the above and got the following: sum({$<Ticker*={'AERO'}>}Close2) which didn't seem to change anything afrom before and there is a squiggly underline after the "=" now.  Any idea what I have wrong?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

My suggestion was related to your previous post and frank's suggested solution:

>That would work but it always shows the department and I only want to see selected departments.

So, if you work with multiple expressions, you still get all expression, even if you selected only one in field Ticker?

The squiggly underline is due to a bug in the expression syntax checker, which marks the syntax as incorrect though it is correct (the status should say 'Expression OK' then).

If you still have problems, could you maybe upload a small sample file?