cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
james
Creator III
Creator III

Qlikview and finanical reporting like excel

Has anyone figured out any way to manipulate QlikView pivot tables to show a dimension that calculates on the above dimension above, i.e. sequential change

This is the biggest flaw in QlikView, imo, because end users expect it to act like excel, yet you cannot report as you may want.

Please see the screen shot I included as an example to what excel would show. I have spent countless hours trying to figure out a solution, yet have failed. I would love it if a future QlikView app would have a GRID choice, where if you clicked on a part of the grid, you could insert a formula, just like excel.. This would solve numerous issues

error loading image

Thanks in advance for any ideas or hints

James

4 Replies
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Well, there's above(), but it only works within the context of the lowest dimension - quarters in this case. So each year would start over. If you created a Year Quarter field, though, then above() would work, though it would be sensitive to sorting, so you'd have to turn off dynamic sorting. And it would never report a value for the first quarter selected, even if there was a quarter previous to it. And if you selected two non-sequential quarters, it would still report a sequential change, which would be incorrect if it's intended to be a quarter on quarter change. A more complicated approach that fixes those problems is to handle it with data:

As of Year Quarter, Related Quarter Type, Year Quarter
2010 Q3, This Quarter, 2010 Q3
2010 Q3, Last Quarter, 2010 Q2
2010 Q2, This Quarter, 2010 Q2
2010 Q2, Last Quarter, 2010 Q1

dimension = As of Year Quarter
expression 1 = sum({<"Related Quarter Type"={'This Quarter'}>} Sales)
expression 2 = sum({<"Related Quarter Type"={'This Quarter'}>} Sales)
/ sum({<"Related Quarter Type"={'Last Quarter'}>} Sales) - 1

While the problem is solvable in QlikView, I do wish that QlikView had more native support for period comparisons, and that it understood that days still occur even when there is no data for them. I think I understand where they're coming from, which is that dates are just fields like any other. But when a substantial number of questions on the forum are about handling dates and date comparisons, and when the solutions are complicated like what I posted above, you know there's room for improvement in the product.

Still I don't think the biggest flaw in QlikView is that it doesn't act like Excel. If you want something that acts like Excel, use Excel. QlikView isn't a spreadsheet. It's something very different.

james
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks John ----

pablolabbe
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

I think this post could help you.

http://community.qlik.com/message/153197

Pablo Labbe

Qlikview Consultant