Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QlikView 11 and how to generate QVD without QVW files...

All I can find on the internet is mention of this new feature of QlikView 11. We recently upgraded and I seriously can't find ANYWHERE on the QEMC where I can schedule the generation of QVD's so I can get rid of the QVW's that generates these.

Can anyone answer this question or is this feature just undocumented (because the 930+ Manual is no help at all either)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Sorry, if you feel offended by my answer. You haven't said that you found this piece of information already, so I could have saved my time.

Well, one final thought, though I now assume that you have read and understood all publicly available information:

The QVD creation feature allows QlikView Administrators to deliver specific QVD files to specific QlikView Developers and end-users. With QVD creation, QlikView Administrators can schedule tasks to create QVD files. These tasks do not require an existing QlikView document (.qvw) file. Instead, the QlikView Administrator can insert the load script necessary to generate a QlikView table into the QVD creation task, and the QlikView Publisher (QVP) will execute the load script and automatically store the QVD in a desired location.

Publisher QVD Generation Task

What is the Publisher QVD generation task in QlikView 11?

QlikView developers and architects can now manage data by creating QVD (QlikView data) file layers from a centralized, server-side, QlikView Publisher location. Developers and architects can now create QVDs without the additional overhead of managing a QVW file solely for the purpose of creating a QVD; they can create QVDs via a script. Optionally, QlikView administrators can also assign NTFS (New Technology File System) security to QVDs using this mechanism.

[from: http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-2581#What_is_the_Publisher_QVD_generation_task_in_QlikView_11]

Are you working with a QV Publisher licensed?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Well, if you search the HELP for qvd, you should get as first answer

QVD Creation

In the QVD Creation folder, supporting tasks for QlikView Data (QVD) creation can be viewed and managed.

The QVD creation feature allows QlikView Administrators to deliver specific QVD files to specific QlikView Developers and end-users. With QVD creation, QlikView Administrators can schedule tasks to create QVD files. These tasks do not require an existing QlikView document (.qvw) file. Instead, the QlikView Administrator can insert the load script necessary to generate a QlikView table into the QVD creation task, and the QlikView Publisher (QVP) will execute the load script and automatically store the QVD in a desired location.

FunctionsAdd TaskTo add a task, click on the Add Task icon, , in the upper right corner of the right pane. The following tabs will be created:

•General

•Triggers

Click on each tab label for more information.

View StatusTo view the status and the settings of a task, in the right pane, click on the task in the tree view.

Edit TaskTo configure a task, click on the Edit Task icon, , or click on the task in the tree view. In the right pane, the following tabs are presented:

•General

•Triggers

Click on each tab label for more information.

Copy TaskTo copy a task, click on the Copy this task to clipboard icon, .

Paste TaskPasting a task into a folder will create a new task. To paste a copied task to a specific folder, click on (highlight) the folder and click on the Paste Task icon, , in the right pane (to the left of the Add Task icon, ).

Run TaskTo start a task, click on the Run this task icon, .

Abort TaskTo stop a task, click on the Abort this task icon, .

Delete TaskTo entirely remove a task, either click on (highlight) the document, in which the task resides, in the tree view, and click on the Delete this Task icon of that task, , in the right pane, or click on (highlight) the task in the tree view, and right-click on Delete

You should find the qvd creation in QMC under System -> Supporting Tasks -> Qvd Creation

Here you can copy in the script and define the qvd distribution.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks, but why would I ask and/or search the web if I had the answer in the help files? My help files say the same thing you copied/pasted.

There's no "QVD Creation" folder. There's no "Supporting Tasks" page.

I have "Setup", "Licences" and "About" on my "System" page. That's it.

This is: 11.0.11282.0

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Sorry, if you feel offended by my answer. You haven't said that you found this piece of information already, so I could have saved my time.

Well, one final thought, though I now assume that you have read and understood all publicly available information:

Publisher QVD Generation Task

What is the Publisher QVD generation task in QlikView 11?

QlikView developers and architects can now manage data by creating QVD (QlikView data) file layers from a centralized, server-side, QlikView Publisher location. Developers and architects can now create QVDs without the additional overhead of managing a QVW file solely for the purpose of creating a QVD; they can create QVDs via a script. Optionally, QlikView administrators can also assign NTFS (New Technology File System) security to QVDs using this mechanism.

[from: http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-2581#What_is_the_Publisher_QVD_generation_task_in_QlikView_11]

Are you working with a QV Publisher licensed?

Not applicable
Author

I'm not offended dude. If I came across that way I apologize. I forget people don't know me personally when posting. I usually exhaust all material before asking questions on a forum.

I think we're missing the QV Publisher license. I assumed that since we upgraded last week everything was loaded and since we're already running tasks, had it running already.