Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Adding Rtrim() to indexed fields

Will applying the function Rtrim() in the select statement cause issues with indexed fields and load time? Our database needs to keep leading spaces and needs to drop trailing spaces. Verbatim pulls in both so I need to apply rtrim() to every field for this to be loaded correctly. Use QVD's so I have to apply this in the incremental load and worried about increased time.

4 Replies
MayilVahanan

Hi

Load rtrim(IndexedFields) as indexed, * ;

Select * from tablename;

Hope it helps

Thanks & Regards, Mayil Vahanan R
Please close the thread by marking correct answer & give likes if you like the post.
Not applicable
Author

I could do this in the load, however I currently do not save the Load portion to the QVD's. I do Select * From...

Since I have around 10 dashboards where a lot of the tables are interchangeable I wanted to save the original table so I am not hunting for new field names. I also was told that applying rtrim in the Select portion will make it so I do not need to add it to every instance in the load section. I use the same fields many times in the load section to create links so only having to apply it once in the select makes the most sense.

That was a bit off topic and I agree your method would work, it just exponentially increases the amount of work I would have to do.

MayilVahanan

Hi

I hope you already know this.. Why you can't load in qvd first, and then from qvd, you can use rtrim() method ?

Its reduce time also..

Thanks & Regards, Mayil Vahanan R
Please close the thread by marking correct answer & give likes if you like the post.
Not applicable
Author

I would need to save it using Verbatim. I was just trying to save time so that instead of applying rtrim() in every document where the QVD is referenced, I would save it to the QVD itself and save the extra work and only have to do it once to those tables.

So back to the original question, will applying Rtrim() to index fields in a SQL Select statement cause load issues?