Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Help Needed!!

Hi,

I have attached the snapshot of the error which i am getting..

This happens as soon as i reload the script..

Can any one help me with this?

Thanks in advance

Capture.JPG

12 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi Chris, I come to you again with a small doubt with section access.

So, what i am looking for is a simple section access security with user id, password and OMIT options. I want a particular user to to view a certain fields.

To make it clear. Lets take an example.

I have a field called country which has 10 countries(US, GBR etc) as drop down. If I use OMIT in section access, i believe I can hide a particular field. In my case, if I omit country. the entire country field will be invisible. But, what I want is to omit a particular country from the field. ie: if i want to omit only GBR from the list of countries, how do I do it?

Could you help me with this please?

Thanks in advance

chris_johnson
Creator III
Creator III

Hi again,

Section Access is fairly simple and you can do what you are asking quite easily. When you are specifying the section access table in the script you will just need to use a little bit of script like this:

Star is *;

Section Access;

Load * inline [

ACCESS, USERID, PASSWORD, COUNTRY

ADMIN, ztarique, ztarique,

USER, bob, bob, US

USER, bob, bob, GBR

USER, Jane, Jane, *

];

Section Application;

As you can see above you have the ACCESS column which shows what permission level (either ADMIN or USER) the user has, the USERID and PASSWORD columns which should be self explanatory, and the COUNTRY field which is your link from the section access table to the data (big NOTE: you need to make sure that the field and the values for the field linking section access to the data is all in UPPERCASE. Do this both in the section access table and the data itself).

So, to explain:

If you log in as yourself you will see everything as leaving it blank shows all values for the COUNTRY field.

If you log in as bob you will see the data for the US and GBR countries.

If you log in as Jane you will only see data for US and GBR countries.

There is a noticeable difference between leaving a field blank and putting a star '*' in. A blank string will show all values, a star will only show all values that have been specified in the list. So, since we have only specified US and GBR this is all Jane will see.

Adding an extra line for another country (e.g. MEX for Mexico) will mean that Jane will automatically be able to see Mexico data as well.

I've attached an example document (I did this just to check what I was telling you was correct). Try logging in as the different users above.

ONE LAST FINAL BIG BIG NOTE:

Be very careful when you are playing around with section access as it can be too easy to lock yourself out of your application. Two suggestions to help you avoid that, either:

1. Save a version without section access turned on (it doesn't matter if the table is still in the script as long as it isn't ticked in the document properties). Then you can use one of the copies to test your section access works.

2. Section Access will apply the next time you open the QlikView document so you can leave your original document open with section access turned on and then open QlikView again and it will ask you to log in. If you can't get in you will still at least have the original document open.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Chris,

Thanks for replying. Appreciate it.

Its working at my end now.