Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Duration greater than 24 hours

I have three fields: StartTime, EndTime, and Duration. They are all in hh:mm:ss format. But when I use the expressions sum(Duration), sum(hour(duration)), or even interval(sum([Duration]),'hh:mm'), it isn't adding correctly. My total duration should be about 80 hours, and it only shows 8. Suggestions?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

It seems that you format your expression as date not as interval (or that the format of duration field is a date format?).

Try setting an explicite interval format in number tab of your chart.

Attached is my sample file.

Hope this helps,

Stefan

View solution in original post

8 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Using interval function should be correct.

What does =sum(Duration) show? A number a little larger than 3?

Not applicable
Author

The total sum shows 12320:14:30, which equals the "sum" in Excel. I have attached the spreadsheet with start time, end time, and duration, because I think the problem may be from the Duration field in Excel?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Why do you think your sum of durations should be some 80 hours instead 12320 then?

Not applicable
Author

It shouldn't, sorry for the confusion. The y-axis on my graph shows the following (even though it is in hh:mm format):

Graph.JPG

I guess this is the real problem.

Not applicable
Author

What's the problem then? The format of the data on the y-axis?

Not applicable
Author

Yes, and in the straight table. The grand total of Duration with no filters whatsoever is "8:14", which is not right at all.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

It seems that you format your expression as date not as interval (or that the format of duration field is a date format?).

Try setting an explicite interval format in number tab of your chart.

Attached is my sample file.

Hope this helps,

Stefan

Not applicable
Author

That solved the problem - it was set as Time not Interval. Thank you, Stefan!