Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Using an ID as Sort Expression on Pivot Table

Hi,

I created our Manufacturing Report on Qlikview 10 SR1 a few days ago and have the following problem:

As there are lots of KPIs (+/- 80) which should be sorted by a predefined order. I created an additional column with an ID per KPI therefore. E.g.:

CompanyKPI-IDKPI-Desc
Value
A1002Set up Avg Timex
A1004Total Wastex
A1001Speed in Run Timex
A1003Run Timex
A1025Budgeted working hoursx
A1023Run Timex
A1021Speed in Run Timex
A1026Set up (tool exchange)x

Simplified I want to show just the KPI-Desc and the Value per Company which works fine. But unfortunatelly the correct order does not work, if I set the KPI-ID as Sort Expression for the KPI-Desc (neither if I use e.g. "avg(KPI-ID)" or sum,min,max... etc.). It works if I add the KPI-ID as additional column in the table, but that is not my target. I don't want to see the ID in the report.

Can anybody help?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

One way to solve this problem is to load Description as a dual. A dual has a text representation (in this case the description itself) and a numeric representation (in this case the sort order). You would load it with something like:

LOAD

Dual(Description, man_sort_order_qv) As Description,

In the table sort dialog, check the Numeric Value check box for Description.

Hope that helps

Jonathan

PS - as description is now considered by QV to be a numeric field, it will right align it and will replace the text with #'s if it is too long to fit. You can use Text(Description) to override this behaviour.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Not applicable
Author

you should sort ID by expression and paste there

=min(KPI-ID)

Not applicable
Author

Hi, Thanks for your quick answer.

But this is exactly what I'm trying without success. I'm on the "Sort" tab, mark "Sort by Expression" and add =min(KPI-ID) there. It doesn't work. If I add another Dimension with the KPI-ID it works well, but that's what I don't want...

Not applicable
Author

send snapshot of your data structure:)

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Please find below some screenshots.

The report looks like this:

MF_Report.jpg

The sort order is set:

MF_Sort_Order.jpg

As written in a post above, the sorting doesn't work correctly. If I add the field "man_sort_order_qv" to the dimensions, sorting suddenly works:

MF_Report_with_Sort_ID.jpg

And this works even though I didn't add a sort order for the new dimension:

MF_Sort_ID_Sort_Order.jpg

The sort order for the dimension "Description" is still set as visible in picture above...

Any idea?

giakoum
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

Can we get some sample report?

What if you omit the min function from the sorting expression?

Not applicable
Author

what it the first dimension (which has no label)

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

One way to solve this problem is to load Description as a dual. A dual has a text representation (in this case the description itself) and a numeric representation (in this case the sort order). You would load it with something like:

LOAD

Dual(Description, man_sort_order_qv) As Description,

In the table sort dialog, check the Numeric Value check box for Description.

Hope that helps

Jonathan

PS - as description is now considered by QV to be a numeric field, it will right align it and will replace the text with #'s if it is too long to fit. You can use Text(Description) to override this behaviour.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Not applicable
Author

Hi Jonathan,

Thank you very much. This helped!

@all, thanks for your help as well.