Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pablolabbe
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Fractile not working as expected

Hi All,

The  table has 2 columns : customer name  and sales value with 312.844 rows.

I need to get the bottom value on 3 tiers:   25 % for the first, 50 % for the second and 75 % for the third. 

I'm trying to use the factile function, but I think it´s not working as expected.  

When I select a hundred of customers, it works. But when I clear the selection , the values returned doesn´t make sense.

the expression are simple:

fractile ( sales, 0.75),     fractile ( sales, 0.50)  ,     fractile ( sales, 0.25)

There are any know issues with fractile and large datasets ?

I do the tests with  QV10 sr4 and QV11 sr4.

The QVW is attached with the sample data and a test chart with the expressions above.

Best Regards,

Pablo

3 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

I can't see anything wrong with your fractile number (looking at the complete data set).

What do you expect to see?

I compared the outcome for example for the 2-quantile with the median(VENDA) as well as with

=min(aggr(if(rank(-sum(VENDA),4)=floor(312844/2),sum(VENDA)),CLIENTE))

and got returned 44,4 (as with your table expression).

Also the other two values seemed reasonable to me.

I noticed that you are showing a cumulative relative (percentage) of the sum(VENDA), though I believe you shouldn't look at e.g. the 50% threshold VENDA value while looking for the 2-quantile / median, these are different metrics.

Regards,

Stefan

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

I agree with Stefan. I cannot find anything wrong with the fractile calculation.

I made a histogram to analyze the data, and it shows that 0, 44.4 and 165.7 are the fractiles you search for. I hard-coded these numbers in a calculated dimension and got this bar chart:

histogram.jpg

In it you can see that very few values are below 0, roughly 27% are exactly 0, etc. So the fractiles are correct.

HIC

pablolabbe
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

Stefan and Henric,

Thank you for your answers and correct me on the usage of this function.  My mistake . 

I try to use this function to get the mininum value of sales on each quartile. I´ve created the cumulative % of Sales to check if the resulting value of the fractile column was correct.

Now I think it´s worth to use some sort of combination of rank , min and aggr functions to get what I need.

Best Regards,

Pablo Labbe Ibaceta