Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Transforming data from a table where the field names need to become values

Hi, sorry if I have missed a posted answer to this.....

I need to change the original data I have into something I can use in my QlikView dashboard. Its a simple report and I have got it to work although the method I used is ropy at best and if the row numbers increase in a future project (which I know they will) I think I'll run into speed issues (plus I prefer to do things right if possible)

The original table is:

Name - Text

Report Name 1 - 1 or Null

Report Name 2 - 1 or Null

Report Name 3 - 1 or Null

Etc .......

What I need to do (I think) is create a new table with only: Name and Report as the column headers where Report field in each record holds the Column name of the original table (if the value was = 1) . for example:

Name Report

Richard Report Name 1

Richard Report Name 2

John Report Name 2

John Report Name 3

Etc

This is the simple code I am using which does the job but I'm not sure is the correct way to tackle this problem..

Temp_Report_Covered:
load Name,
if(Operational='1','Operational') as Report
Resident Temp_Data;

Concatenate LOAD Name,
if(Divisional='1','Divisional') as Report
Resident Temp_Data;

Concatenate LOAD Name,
if([Forecast + Capacity]='1','Forecast + Capacity') as Report
Resident Temp_Data;

Two things I guess I would like to know; what's the most efficient way to transform the data and how could I make it more intelligent on the off change the original table expands to include more report names (ie For Loop,)?

Sorry for the long post - thanks in advance (using QV10)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

isn't it always the case...... was flicking through the 1.5k page user guide and stumbled upon the crosstable command which does the job a treat.......

Think I'd still be interested if there was another way around this problem if anyone would like to offer any ideas.... Thanks

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Not applicable
Author

isn't it always the case...... was flicking through the 1.5k page user guide and stumbled upon the crosstable command which does the job a treat.......

Think I'd still be interested if there was another way around this problem if anyone would like to offer any ideas.... Thanks