Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Map Load If Function

Hello All,

I have the following mapping load:

if((ApplyMap('Map_DATASOURCE', THEVALUE)) = 'SuperUser','No') as ENDUSEREDIT,

It simply takes 'THEVALUE' to the Map_DATASORCE, and then applies an if based on the returned value.

If the value is 'SuperUser' put 'No' as the data.

What I have been trying to do is the else part. I have the formattin gbut can only match the value to another value. I would like to say "else, store the original returned vaule"... Like this:

if((ApplyMap('Map_DATASOURCE', THEVALUE)) = 'SuperUser','No', ORIGINAL VALUE RETURNED FROM MAP) as ENDUSEREDIT,

I just do not know what ORIGINAL VALUE RETURNED FROM MAP should be.

I have a feeling this would work but it is probably not good for performance as it does two mappings:

if((ApplyMap('Map_DATASOURCE', THEVALUE)) = 'SuperUser','No',ApplyMap('Map_DATASOURCE', THEVALUE)) as ENDUSEREDIT,

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Jim

13 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hello Felim,

I have the ID fields you are correct.

Say 1033459... n, could be any number of them. The value I am passing through the map is this ID. So i cannot do the if on that. This just does not make sense to do.

Say I parr ID 9, then ID 10 through the map. And this returns 'Jimmy', 'Thomas'.

I then do the if on the returned data, not the ID. So if 'Jimmy = SuperUser','Yes'.... I cannot do this without the map as I only have the ID fields available.

I hope this makes sense,

Jim

Not applicable
Author

Basically we are checking to see if Jimmy is a Superuser..

You will need to do more than one map to get the result you want.

First you will need to ApplyMap('MAP',ID,'Unknown') AS User

Next you will need to use this to return the users access, at this point it is becoming more complex.  I would suggest left joining your data onto the main table and working from there with a seperate if statement field. 

This would be the easiest solution.

Not applicable
Author

Hello Felim,

Lets simplify, the map does everything that is required. It gets the value I need to compare in the if statement. This is not the problem.

The problem is that should the if statement fail, I want to show the original value passed.

Lets look deeper:

if((ApplyMap('Map_DATASOURCE', MYID)) = 'SuperUser','No',Yes') as ENDUSEREDIT,

This will make a field in the table called ENDUSEREDIT that for each row that says 'No' or 'Yes' depending if the value returned from the map = 'SuperUser'. Very simple and works.

However, I do not want the 'Yes' part. I want the value returned from the map if the fail clause of the IF is called.

Example, this:

if((ApplyMap('Map_DATASOURCE', MYID)) = 'SuperUser','No','USE VALUE RETURNED FROM MAP') as ENDUSEREDIT,

Lets say the map returns 'Jimmy', the If should make ENDUSEREDIT = 'Jimmy'.

Lets say the map returns 'SuperUser', the If should make ENDUSEREDIT = 'No'.

Please let me know if this is helpful as I think we have a misunderstanding on what the problem is. Your help has been great so far though.

Best Regards,

Jim

Not applicable
Author

right, then parsing the applymap twice is the easiest way and tbh ApplyMap isnt too inefficient.  Alot of confusion hehe, its a friday!