Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Show yearquarter as year on x-axis

Hi,

I try to make a graph which has yearquarter on the x-axis but displays only year instead of yearquarter.

For year 2010 there are four categories 2010-Q1, 2010-Q2, 2010-Q3 and 2010-Q4. I want to show the four values corresponding to the the quarters but on the x-axis I only want to show 2010.

How can I achieve this?

8 Replies
tresesco
MVP
MVP

You have to play a bit trick. As you want four values, you must have four different values in x-axis here to. So do this:

use calculated dimension and write expression like :

=If(Period='2010-q1','2010',If(Period='2010-q1','2010  '.....)) likewise. thought the x-axis values would be different '2010', '2010 ', '2010  ','2010   ' (difference in space)-- user would see as 2010 only.

Or you might have to change a bit of trick as per your need.

Regards,

tresesco

Not applicable
Author

i'm not sure what you want to achieve..

could you send an excel sample?

Not applicable
Author

He treseco,

Thanks for the reply, this is not exactly what I want. I want to show 2010 only once.

I've attached two images, one how the situation is right now and one how I want it to be.

Not applicable
Author

try to combine it by:

legend.PNG

Not applicable
Author

solutrion presented above is not exact solution:/

you can try to prepare two charts like in qvw attached below

tresesco
MVP
MVP

Did you try year function with the period field in the calculated dimension?

Like Year(YourPeriodFiled), if the format of the field is okay, it would generate yearly data.

Regards,

tresesco

Not applicable
Author

He Tresco,

I already tried what you suggested, the problem is that i than onlly get 3 values. The sum of all the quarters in 2010, the sum of all the quarters in 2011 and the sum of all the quaters in 2012.

Pari your suggestion seems to be a solution.

Although i was hoping on a more elegant solution. I was trying the dual function but unfortunately I couldn't get it to work properly.

whiteline
Master II
Master II

Use dual function. Keep all numeric data and assign years as text representation.

QlikView distinguish values by numeric value.

=Dual(Year(YourPeriodFiled), YourPeriodFiled)

But this will reapeat year labels

If you don't like it, you can upgrade this trick:

=Dual(if(YourPeriodFiled=SecondQuarter, Year(YourPeriodFiled), ''), YourPeriodFiled)

"YourPeriodFiled=SecondQuarter" <- its "pseudocode", you should write the corresponding expression.

upd:

I've just tried... awesome.