Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlikview Settings Service Won't Start

Hello,

I have installed Qlikview webserver (IIS) (let's call it QVIIS1) on a standalone server.  I used the same domain account for the service as I have for other QlikView servers whose services are starting and working with no problem.

However, on QVIIS1 the "Qlikview Settings Service" will not start.  After I installed the QV webserver component onto QVIIS1 and rebooted it didn't start automatically.  It also will not start if I manually try to start it from the services.msc dialog.  I get the following error message:

"The QlikView Settings Service on Local Computer started and then stopped.  Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."

Any help figuring out a solution to this issue would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dde
Employee
Employee

Clearly your Netstat is lying :-). That's telling you the same as my suggestion, that Port 4750 is in use.  You will either need to find out what is using it or change the Settings service port.  I take it you've not installed the QlikView Web Server in error because I've only ever come across that or the BladeLogic agent so far which uses this port.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
dde
Employee
Employee

The first thing to look at is to ensure nothing else is using TCP Port 4750 for communication.  That's been the issue for me in the past (e.g. BladeLogic management software has been one).

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the suggestion, Dave.  I did used netstat -a -n to check for activity on port 4750 and there wasn't any. 

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much.

dde
Employee
Employee

I assume the domain user which is running the services is both a local Administrator and QlikView Administrator?  Permissions is often another source of problems.

Is there nothing in the Windows Event Logs detailing any errors?

Not applicable
Author

Yes, the service account used by the services is a member of the local admin group as well as the QlikView Administrator group.

I checked the Application Event Log and found this...I guess I missed it before.  Any idea how to resolve this issue?

Service cannot be started. System.ServiceModel.AddressAlreadyInUseException: HTTP could not register URL http://+:4750/QVWS/Service/ because TCP port 4750 is being used by another application. ---> System.Net.HttpListenerException: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

Details Tab:

Service cannot be started. System.ServiceModel.AddressAlreadyInUseException: HTTP could not register URL http://+:4750/QVWS/Service/ because TCP port 4750 is being used by another application. ---> System.Net.HttpListenerException: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process at System.Net.HttpListener.AddAllPrefixes() at System.Net.HttpListener.Start() at System.ServiceModel.Channels.SharedHttpTransportManager.OnOpen() --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.ServiceModel.Channels.SharedHttpTransportManager.OnOpen() at System.ServiceModel.Channels.TransportManager.Open(TransportChannelListener channelListener) at System.ServiceModel.Channels.TransportManagerContainer.Open(SelectTransportManagersCallback selectTransportManagerCallback) at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelListener.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout) at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.Open(TimeSpan timeout) at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ChannelDispatcher.OnOpen(TimeS...

dde
Employee
Employee

Clearly your Netstat is lying :-). That's telling you the same as my suggestion, that Port 4750 is in use.  You will either need to find out what is using it or change the Settings service port.  I take it you've not installed the QlikView Web Server in error because I've only ever come across that or the BladeLogic agent so far which uses this port.

Not applicable
Author

You were right on, Dave.  The BladeLogic agent was using this port.  Thanks so much for the help and sticking with it!