Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Automated licence assignment on initial start

Hi there,

we are currently installing the QV-client on several machines in our company. By starting the first time the user has to connect to the server to have a.) the server-connection established and b.) to get a Named CAL via licence lease from the server.

Is there any way to automate this procedure? Supposedly the majority of users does not want to pass the whole procedure every time they work on another machine.

Thanks and BR,

Max

7 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Max,

The licenses work for session and user, meaning that if User A is using Computer 1, it should log in as User A, and if he moves to Computer 2, he will also need to log in as User A, and the session in Computer 1 will be closed by this second one.

If the credentials are the same the users have when logging on to Windows, and the Server is set to NTFS and there is an AD set up, then the Desktop should take these and assign the license accordingly, as long as the computer is online the first time QlikView Desktop is open.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Dear Miguel,

that was exactly what I hoped to read

Unfortunately this does not work in our case. When I log on to another machine with my windows login data I always need to connect manually to the server to be able to open files and to get a licence. Our sales rep told us the same you did, so hopefully we get this to work. Are there any settings in the QMC that might be wrong or not activated?

We have an AD set up and the Server is set to NTFS.

Thanks and BR,

Max

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Max,

First, check that the port 4747 is open and available to all users between the Server and the Clients where Desktop is running, so they log in as in the Start page and the license is correctly assigned, checking as well that in the QMC that license appears as assigned to the correct user.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Hi Miguel,

thanks for your reply. I checked our settings and they are according to your post.

What I don't get is that viewing the Dashboard via the Internet Explorer ist working from any machine without any settings but leasing a licence by opening the Desktop clinent doesn't work. Are there any settings in the Desktop client we need to change?

thanks a lot,

Max

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Max,

You need to contact the QlikView Server using Desktop using the "Open In Server" option of the Start page, and set up the options in that page to log to your server. When the Server detects your user, will lease the licenses you have assigned.

Is it possible that when you are opening QlikView Desktop you have the IE Plugin open as well? Is there any dynamic license assignment or are the users hardcoded into the QMC?

Hope that helps.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Hi Miguel,

connecting to the server is working now. Maybe I was connected via browser in some IE-tab I overlooked.

Would it be possible to have some kind of startscript for the QV-desktop that enters the server adress so that the user already has the server connection when QC-desktop is started?

That would be a very comfortable way for users who often switch to new machines.

Thanks & BR,

Max

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Max,

Glad to hear that. As long as you have the QlikView Desktop and Plugin installed, you can use the qvp:// protocol to communicate to the Server. Probably using a Windows batch file to open the communication to the Server while you are online...

But take into account that the leasing lasts for 30 days, so if you don't have permission restrictions, you should be able to work offline with the QVWs for those 30 days, that will be renewed each time you connect again with the Server.

Hope that helps.

Miguel