Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brian_Munz
Employee
Employee

World map visualization extension from Global Games App

Since the demo team released the Global Games App we've gotten a lot of requests for the World Map visualization in it.

The exact extension that was used for the app was customized for the games (images of metals, etc.), so I changed it a little bit to make it more flexible.

Here is a quick run through of the properties so you can get it set up and running:

WorldMap.png

The first property is the most important.  In order for this extension to work at all, you need to have the 2 character ISO codes of the countries you're mapping loaded into your app.  The list is pretty easy to find (for example right here).

Once you have that as the first dimension in this extension, the next two properties are similar to all of my other map extensions.  The Measure property controls the alpha shading of the regions and the color expression controls the colors of the regions.  So for the global games app the measure was simply set to the sum of total medals per country and the color was hard coded to blue.  Of course, you could also have the measure be hardcoded (as 1 or something) to make the alpha always be set to 100 and then use a conditional expression in the color property to have the colors of the regions changed based on data.  Or a combination of both.

The last property simply controls the content of the popup that appears when you hover over a country.  You can populate this with whatever you want.  So if you wanted to always show the value of the sum of, for example, a dimension called CountrySales, you could do something like:
='Total Sales ' & CountrySales

and that text would show up in the pop up with the proper number for each country.

That should be it.  Let me know if you run into any issues.

EDIT: There was an error happening on SR1 that I fixed.  I updated the QAR so please grab the latest if you got it prior to 8/8/12

23 Replies
Brian_Munz
Employee
Employee
Author

Hi rigul123,

Please see this post above for a workaround to this bug in SR1.  This is an issue with all extensions in SR1 unfortunately.

Not applicable

Brian,

I have same problem as Sokkorn above. I am using 11 SR1. First if I try use the Worldmap it will not show any map. When I try to drag Geo Heatmap into the same page it will show World map with above error. I did install the latest extension. Can you please reattach the latest or post new? Thanks in advance.

Also need this extension in 10 SR4. Tried using the same but map didn't show up. Shows blank.

Not applicable

Thank you Brian, I didn't realize that bug was related to my issue. It is working now!

@rqlikview, try upgrading to latest version of internet explorer. Had a similar problem with another extension.

Good luck!

Not applicable

Thanks Rigul. I will give it a try. Unfortunately our company is not ready to upgrade the IE. But anyway will suggest.

jochem_zw
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Capture.PNG

This is my error on:

Windows 7 64 bit

with IE8 installed

QV 11 SR2

reg. Jochem

Julie_Main
Employee
Employee

Has anyone got the new files that stop the V11 SR1 bug from occuring - I've tried changing all relevant files and am still having the same issue - I'm assuming that I have't followed the steps properly, so could benefit from just replacing all of the files so that I know the code works ;0)

Brian_Munz
Employee
Employee
Author

SR 2 is now available for download.

Not applicable

Brian, Is the a way to format the text in the popup box?

Like it was done in the Global games app? At the moment it just puts it in one string...

Brian_Munz
Employee
Employee
Author

You can format the text in the popup as HTML.  So if you wanted to add line breaks you would just put <br /> tags after the lines, etc.

Not applicable

Perfect, thanks