Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Getting error about a missing field in QVD while in reality this field exists

Hi,

my QV model loads daily qvds.

For the last week its loading fails with error that one of the fields does not exist in the last qvd I am loading.

When I open this qvd to check it, I see that this field exists!

It happens only for the last qvd I have. For example when I had the last qvd for the 18-09-12, so it failed for this qvd. For the next day my last qvd was 19-09-12, so it failed for this one and not for the 18-09-12.

Any idea why it haapens?

Thanks!

6 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

I've encountered a similar problem when the file I am reading in exists, but is of zero length.

Could it be, that there is a kind of race condition? That you try to read before the content is actually written to the file?

If you are unsure, you can create a table using the QV file functions (e.g. filename(), filesize() etc.) and store this table.

Regards,

Stefan

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

no it can't be. First I create daily qvds and only after that load them. I checked that qvd is ok by opening it in excel.

Any other reason?

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I've had something similar with PRECEDING LOADs and wildcard matches. They mess up anything you try to load from multiple files. Do you use these two together to load your QVDs?

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Hi Peter,

the answer is yes I do you load more than one type of qvd,
and for the same type of qvd I use wildcard.

What should I do?

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

I got it working by making the behind-the-scenes logic of QlikView explicit: first load all QVDs of the same type into a resident table (using wildcards), then transform this resident table into a new table by manpulating columns, names etc. Don't forget to drop the first resident table.

If you have QVDs with different formats, and you need columns that aren't present in all of them, you'll have to perform a similar load for each group of QVDs with an identical format. Say like: first load all QVDs in resident tables (one for each group of identically formatted QVDs), and only then put them together into the final table.

Good luck,

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Thanks a lot. I will do it.