Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Help switching to tunnelling

Hi Folks

I have a QlikView server that is running IIS and is behind a firewall where we have no opportunity to open port 4747.

I "believe" I need to switch to tunnelling mode for the IE-Plugin client to work in this environment, 2 questions:

1. Am I correct in my understanding, do we have to switch to tunnelling?

2. Does anybody have any documentation that would take me step by step through the process of switching over to tunneling on an IIS environment.

Also, does anybody know anything about the QlikView Server Setting Service, I've seen this mentioned on the community but I've never seen the service, is it introduced in V11?

Thanks for any help,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

This might help.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

This might help.

Bill

To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Not applicable
Author

Hi Bill

Thanks for that, exactly what we needed, got through that hurdle by following those instructions.

What we are now getting is that the IE Plugin will work approx 1 out of 5 times, and even when it does work it will close the session after about 10 seconds.

Have you ever seen this behaviour before?

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

I have not seen this issue. Are you going through a proxy server?

Bill

Not applicable
Author

Hi Bill

Yes, its going through a proxy server, this is in a part of the Bank that is completely off limits to most people and the firewall is very tightly secured. What makes it more difficult for me is that I have no access to this so I'm trying to set this up remotely just be passing instructions to other people, very frustrating.

Thanks for any help.

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

When you are working through a proxy it is hard to say what is causing your issue. You need to take to their network people and let them know what you are doing (network traffic) and get them to make sure they allow it. Is there a reason you want to use the plugin and not Ajax and SSL?

Bill

Not applicable
Author

Hi Bill

Thanks for the continued help.

I'm more than happy to talk to the network people but is there some resource that I can use that will help me to give them the information they're going to need (I'm not even sure I know what they will need).

As for Ajax, I would love to use the Ajax client but I'm afraid it still has issues with rendering various objects that we use and the overall look and feel is not liked at the moment by the bank I'm working with.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Again Bill

We have made some very difinate progress on this by using the QVP folder address in the Link Machine name area, this was on a slightly updated version of the document you sent above.

We are still having a few issues and the guy working on this has asked me if there is a way to trace what the IE Plugin is doing on the Client side through HTTP Watch or log files or similar?  I can't find any log files and HTTP Watch doesn't appear to show any activity.

Do you have any idea on what I could do to trace this acitivity on the client side?

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

You should be able to watch the HTTP traffic because this is normal port 80 traffic.

Bill

ksmccann
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Nigel, I realize this was a while ago but would you happen to recall what the entry looked like in the linked machine name that got you going?  I am having a issue with tunneling at a client and even after following all of these instructions it does not work when hit from outside the DMZ.

p.s. I am assuming you are the same Nigel met in Barcelona last week at the masters summit! Help an Aussie brother out!