cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pgdavis2
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Exports a chart to Excel with a large data volume

When a user exports a chart to Excel with a large data volume, it can lock up the system if there is too much data.

Is there a way to kill such a task to free up system resources?

Using QV11 Server

6 Replies
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi pgdavis2,

There is not way to do this other that stopping QVS and then all users would lose connection.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
pgdavis2
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Thanks for confirming - that's what I thought from our research on it. 

Is there a good way to limit the export to a certain # of records?  For example I would like the system to warn the user if they try to export more than 50k rows and prevent them from doing it. 

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi pgdavis2,

I don't know of a way to do that. Unless you tried to do something with a macro.

Bill

To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
pgdavis2
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Thanks Bill. I've seen a few macros aimed at this but that's a last resort with Ajax...I shy away from them. 

Not applicable

Hello

maybe is better to let users export huge amount to csv - not xls.

I am not tested this parameter:

[Settings 7]

RowLimitForCsvInsteadOfXls=65500

in server settings ?

Do you have MS Excell installed on server or only viever ?

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hugo,

I sent him that information off line and you are correct this does help and setting the number below 65K will even speed it up on smaller jobs. However, the problem is with large amount of data the connection times out before the data can be pushed to the user.

In talking to out development group they have confirm that this is wroking as designed and it was never meant for large data sets.

Bill