Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How do I script this?

I have a calendar conrol in my script and a list box in my application showing the Quarter.  The values in the list box are 1,2,3, & 4.  For a calculated dimension, I want to show some data based on the selection of the quarter in the list box.  For example, if the quarter selected = 3, then show X, if the quarter = 4 then show Y, etc.

Thanks,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I'm not a fan of calculated dimensions and I wouldn't reference the selections from the list box.  I'd build it as data.  I assume you have a calendar table with the CAL_QTR field in it.  I would add something like CAL_QTR_MONTH with the values you want.  Something like this, say:

pick(CAL_QTR,'MAR','JUN','SEP','DEC') as CAL_QTR_MONTH,

For performance, it's generally better to do this sort of thing in script than in charts.  From a maintenance standpoint, then it's in one place instead of potentially in multiple charts.  And as a general rule, I'd rather put complexity in my script than in my charts, even if it's the same level of complexity and there's no duplication.  I have a hard time putting my finger on why, though, other than the previous two reasons.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Not applicable
Author

You can do this with conditional calculations or conditional layouts, depending on what you want your end result to look like. Do you have a sample file of what you are looking to achieve?

Not applicable
Author

The field for calendar quater in the list box is CAL_QTR, in the calculated dimesion of the chart I am looking for something like,

If the CAL_QTR selected inthe list box =3, then 'SEP', if the CAL_QTR selected = 1, 'MAR',

I am just not sure of the script when trying to reference selections made in the list boxes.

THanks,

Not applicable
Author

You could use something like this in the conditional layout:

=SubStringCount(Concat(CAL_QTR, '|'), '1') 

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I'm not a fan of calculated dimensions and I wouldn't reference the selections from the list box.  I'd build it as data.  I assume you have a calendar table with the CAL_QTR field in it.  I would add something like CAL_QTR_MONTH with the values you want.  Something like this, say:

pick(CAL_QTR,'MAR','JUN','SEP','DEC') as CAL_QTR_MONTH,

For performance, it's generally better to do this sort of thing in script than in charts.  From a maintenance standpoint, then it's in one place instead of potentially in multiple charts.  And as a general rule, I'd rather put complexity in my script than in my charts, even if it's the same level of complexity and there's no duplication.  I have a hard time putting my finger on why, though, other than the previous two reasons.