Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Dynamic Document CAL assignments

I need further clarity on how this works.

Currently how we control access is specific directories through Active Directory (so even if we assign a Document CAL they can't see it until we give them permission on AD to)

We have 25 User CAL's and 70 Document CAL's. Normally we assign Document CAL's for people viewing 1 or 2 reports. It's come to the point where we have run out of User and Document CAL's.

However with QlikView 11 there's a "Allow Dynamic CAL assignment" option

I want to know:

a) Do we need to assign Document CAL's on specific documents for specific users anymore if this is turned on?

b) Would it be safe to remove ALL Document CAL assignments because of this feature and only worry about the way we give access via Active Directory?

3) Do you like bacon?

Any insight into this could prove very helpful. Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

The "Allow Dynamic CAL Assigmnet" in the Licence section of the QMC is just for Named User CALs. Dynamic CAL Assignment for DocCALs is done in the properties for each document in the QMC, I believe.

So, you could remove all CAL assignments and enable these features to reissue them dynamically.  However, if you are hoping to have a fast turnaround of licence allocation you will be disappointed. The server will only issue licence leases for a minimum of 30 days. If your user doesn't access for this time then the CAL will be re-issued, but you can't shorten this lease - which is intentional to stop customers using Named CALs and DocCALs like Session CALs. (Although you can always revoke the licences maunally...)

Hope this helps,

Jason

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

The "Allow Dynamic CAL Assigmnet" in the Licence section of the QMC is just for Named User CALs. Dynamic CAL Assignment for DocCALs is done in the properties for each document in the QMC, I believe.

So, you could remove all CAL assignments and enable these features to reissue them dynamically.  However, if you are hoping to have a fast turnaround of licence allocation you will be disappointed. The server will only issue licence leases for a minimum of 30 days. If your user doesn't access for this time then the CAL will be re-issued, but you can't shorten this lease - which is intentional to stop customers using Named CALs and DocCALs like Session CALs. (Although you can always revoke the licences maunally...)

Hope this helps,

Jason

Not applicable
Author

So there might be a chance of us running out of licenses if all 95 licenses are used within a month?

I think I need to pitch this to our IT manager just to make sure we can test and see how it works. There's users with licenses that hasn't used the system in months.

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

So there might be a chance of us running out of licenses if all 95 licenses are used within a month?

Yes, I believe so.  If you want a concurrent user model you have to use Session CALs, but they are crazy-expensive and I have yet to see a use-case to justify them.  Otherwise, you will need to monitor usage and clean up manually, regularly.

Jason