Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erichshiino
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Variable content is lost using TFS

Hi,

I've been studying QlikView integration with Microsoft TeamFoundationServer and found some issues.

First, I can be used just a version control tool. It does not allow a team of developers to work in a single .qvw at the same time because you donwload and upload the whole -prj folder at once, otherwise I will get corrupted.

It would be nice if it was possible to have one person working on script and other at the front-end or even two at the front-end in different tabs and objects.

Second, when I get a project from TSF, the result is similar to opening a qvw without data. It is possible to reload it to have data but the variable definition is lost in the process.

I imagine is it possible to recreate all the variables in script, but this does not seem to be a very straightforward process. If you adjust the variable in the front-end you have the risk to lose it using TFS.

Is there any alternatives ?

Regards,

Erich

3 Replies
erichshiino
Partner - Master
Partner - Master
Author

Anyone ?

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I haven't used it with TFS, but I have with SVN. I've limited experience using multiple developers on a doc, but it does work, with the occasional hiccup.

Re the variables. Variable values are "data" and therefore don't get exported to the prj.I believe that was a conscious design decision.  I always create my vars in the script for several reasons, this being one of them.

-Rob

sohailansari201
Creator
Creator

I have recently implemented SVN in our environment and we did see a case where one of our developer lost all its variables definitions from his document. Luckily he had the older backup and was able to retrieve the definitions.

But I am seeing a different behavior with variables in my case. If I have two variables of same name let's say vLastYearSales in two different QlikView files with two different definitions and they both checked into SVN repository. Sometime I see that the vLastYearSales definition in fileA gets replaced with the definition of vLastYearSales in fileB. Totally weird, but today it happened for the third time and now I am thinking this is for real.