Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Bar Chart with conditional expression

Hello,

I am kind of new to Qlikview, so forgive me if this question is something I should know.

I am trying to create a Bar chart which counts the different values in a column, but I only want to count the values in this column if another column in the same row has a spesific value.

How can I achieve this?

Thanks,

Robert

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

hi, you are moving correctly.. don't put the dollar sign.. are using some variables.. keep things simple.. count(if(referenceColumn='TRUE',Column_To_Counted))

View solution in original post

7 Replies
sujeetsingh
Master III
Master III

Yes you can use set analysis

as

count({$<Coulunn2=''>}column1)

Try it or vie set analysis document in the community document available as pdf.

Not applicable
Author

Where do I put this expression? I tried to put it in definition, but then I get no value in my bar chart.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Robert,

You have to put the expression in your expression's page..and not on edit dimension.. if you are not comfortable using set analysis..then please make use of the normal if condition.. like--sum(if(country='MEXICO',sales))... try out this sort of expression and you will land in getting the correct values.. however this could make your bar chart a bit heavy..means it will take a bit time to open up

Not applicable
Author

Ok, so I have done the following..

Created a new expression on the bar chart object. with the following expression:

count ({$<referencing column='the value of this column that has to be true for the value to be counted'>}column that is counted)

is this correct?

Not applicable
Author

hi, you are moving correctly.. don't put the dollar sign.. are using some variables.. keep things simple.. count(if(referenceColumn='TRUE',Column_To_Counted))

Not applicable
Author

hi, I have constructed the expression as you suggested, but I'm using a 'Word' instead of 'TRUE'. Problem is when I do this I get no value.

However, I found a "hack" way to do it via bookmarks. First i created a selection for the value in the reference column, then bookmarked it and then using the expression Count ({BOOKMARK} COLUMN_TO_BE_COUNTED) I got the result I wanted, but it seems kind of messy :S

What could I be doing wrong with the expression you specified?

Not applicable
Author

Hi Robert, ok if you got the result using BOOKMARK.. that way is also correct.. but why to make things complicated.. you need not use 'TRUE'  as that was only an example.. instead use the value you need to validate against that particular field.. use the expression I suggested and put the value you require to validate in place of TRUE.. when you achieve this then gradually start using set analysis further in your expression.. I hope you must have understood my point.. Regards