Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Extremely slow Excel export

Hi all,

I have a pretty large data model (almost 200m rows across over 100 fields, many of which are financial figures with high levels of distinct values). The performance in charts etc is generally OK (I've used all best practice for the model and expressions, although I'm going to try replacing some of the set analysis for flags) - my problem is the Excel export.

My user-base are primarily accountants. It'll take time to shift the culture to realise they can do most things in QV and don't need to use Excel so much, so in the meantime I need to provide decent export functionality. My issue is I just don't understand why the Excel export is performing so shockingly slowly. I may have 200m rows of data, but if my chart only has 10k rows and maybe 10 columns, it still takes around 10-15 minutes to export the chart.

I am using v11 SR2 and the issue is there whether I export from the desktop client or the web client.

Am I missing something? It almost feels like QV is calcaulating the chart for the full number of possible rows and expressions, before deciding to only export 10k of the rows. (The chart has over 50 expressions, but they are conditionally enabled/disabled and this issue is seen with only 5 of them enabled.)

I've tried using various macros instead of the XL button on the cpation bar to no avail,

Has anyone else had this issue and have you resolved it!?

Thanks,

Jason

19 Replies
Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

Cool.  Let us know if it works for you too.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is perfect!

I have two tables, one "normal" and another with conditional expressions/dimensions.  Number of rows in my test is about 12,000.

In the standard SR2, "normal" table goes to excel in 7 seconds, "conditional" with the same set of dimensions/expressions takes 6 minutes.

With the patch, both tables are exported in 6 seconds.  Quite a difference 🙂

Not applicable

Here are the patches:

After having reviewed your request we would suggest the following solution:

The link to the patches has been removed by Moderator.

You have to go through support to be able to receive a patch.

Bill Britt

Not applicable

The patch you have posted is the same I received from QV support, but unfortunately it cannot be installed on SR2 with Upgrade1 that was publicly released on Nov.9. I have installed the SR2 Upgrade1 and try now to install the patch (as it turned out that this Upgrade doesn't solve the Enable Conditional scroll freeze or slow excel export) but it gives me the message that I have a newer version (The Upgrade is 11.00.11426) so it won't install the patch. Do you know if there is a patch-fix that can be installed on the newest Upgrade. I'll ask the support guys as well.

Thanks.

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

No idea I'm afraid.

Not applicable

A colleague just told me that QlikTech doesn't make patches (that will stay integrated with next versions/Updates) but what they do is Customer Releases only - which give a specific customer the needed functionality for the installed version, but if you Upgrade to the next version/SR/Upgrade the functionality of the Customer Release will be lost. I don't know if this is so and still am waiting for an answer from the support. Have you installed the latest Upgrade and did you lose the Customer Build 11419 functionality after that (if you have done the Upgrade)?

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

We haven't upgraded but not by design.  Thank you for this warning!

erichshiino
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Jason,

Do you have a bug ID for your original problem?

I checked the release notes here ( http://community.qlik.com/blogs/supportupdates/2012/11/09/version-11-service-release-2-update-1-is-n...) and there are many bugs related to excel export.

I'd like to make sure before installing or requesting a patch for version 11.00.11426

Best Regards,

Erich

Not applicable

Hi Erich,

The slow  export to excel from tables with Enable Conditional is Bug No 48736 , which is found in line 10 of Table 8 on p.23 in the Update 1 doc. The QV patch policy states that:

Q –I’m on a Patch but a newer Update/Service Release is available. What do you recommend?

A – Updates & Service Releases are cumulative of Patches therefore we recommend that you

move to the latest Update/Service Release as soon as possible. (from QlikView Release Management Policies)

so this would mean that the build 11419 should be integrated in SR2 Update 1; however, as I said earlier I don't see much difference after I installed the Update1 in the horizontal scroll freeze or slow export to excel from such tables. I am still experimenting and testing though, so I'll keep you informed if I see any improvemnet.

Not applicable

We have updated the server but forgot to update desktop as well, so it's my mistake. With ver. 11.00.11426 (the Update1 to SR2) Charts with Enable Conditional perform much better and faster - both in calculation and export to excel time. The Update seems for now  to solve all our concerns, though I have to test further to compare with ordinary charts' export and calculation times.