Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Syncronizing scrolling on layered bar charts

In my situation I have a main bar chart, and 3 overlay bar charts.  Each of my bar charts share the same X-Axis fields, but have differing Y-Axis.  As there are many values on my X-Axis I have to enable the X-Axis scrollbar functionality in order to be able to display only partial data at one time, otherwise it would be too compressed and not visually useful -- this applies to all 4 bar charts given they all share the same X-Axis. 

In order to compare the data in each bar chart, I have implemented button objects that bring each layer up on demand.  This works ok, up until one scrolls on the X-Axis.  As each chart has its own Scroll Bar once you scroll the charts are no longer lined up on the X-Axis. 

Seems to me there must be some way to tie these bar charts together as the share the same X-Axis.  I am fairly new to Qlikview with no formal training so thinking this layering path may not have been the most optimal solution.  Hoping there is a more better solution out there.  I've located several discussions that seem somewhat related to my problem, but nothing definitive as far as an answer and most of those threads are old.  Any advice here is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Lew

6 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

It's not possible (yet), but you can vote up the idea here: http://community.qlik.com/ideas/2302

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Shoot was trying to edit this post with more details and to add pictures, but edit ended up deleting my original post reply 😕   Let me try again:

So my solution to this problem was to create a slider based off my X-Axis.  I then removed the scroll bar from all layered bar charts.  Moved my new consolidated slider down to where the scroll bars were previously located.  This seems to work fairly well, with a few gotchas.  That being said, now my charts all scroll together and are always lined up properly.  I have also created two Button objects, one for Next Segment and one for Prev Segment.  The Next Segment button works perfectly moving me to the next segment correctly.  Even if I have more than one segment displayed it moves me to the next inclusive set, i.e. if one Segment is displayed, next seg button takes me to next sequential segment, ex: if segment #1 displayed, it takes me to #2, if segment #8 & #9 displayed it takes me to #9 & #10, etc.  The problem is for my Prev Segment Button, it only works when one segment is displayed.  If you have more than one segment displayed in the chart, Prev Button brings you back to Segment #1 with the default maximum number of displayable segments shown.

Search string for working NEXT SEGMENT Button:

=If(MIN(SEGMENT)<= MAX(SEGMENT),'>=' & (MIN(SEGMENT)+1) & '<=' & (MIN(SEGMENT)+vSegmentInterval))

Search string for NON-working PREV SEGMENT Button:

=If(SEGMENT-0 > 1 , '>=' & ((SEGMENT)-(vSegmentInterval)) & '<=' & (SEGMENT-1) , '>=' & (SEGMENT) & '<=' & (SEGMENT))

Variable vSegmentInterval is set in a  Document Trigger.  It is an OnAnySelect Trigger with a Set Variable Option as follows:

Variable: vSegmentInterval   Value: =GetSelectedCount(SEGMENT)

If anyone has any ideas on what my search string should be for the PREV SEGMENT Button please let me know.  If you need more clarity on the problem I will try to attach pictures again.

Best Regards,

Lew

To add just a little more challenge to this problem....there is the possibility that some segments have no data available, hence they should be excluded while scrolling through the segments.  So you might have 3 segments currently displayed such as 4,5,6, if there is no segment 3, then Prev should give you 2,4,5 instead of 3,4,5.  It sure would be nice if Qlikview did have this functionality to tie multiple charts that share an X-Axis together, then all these summersaults would not be necessary...

Message was edited by: Lew Goldstein

Not applicable
Author

QVPrevNextIssue1.PNG

Below is after Next Seg is pressed.

QVPrevNextIssue2.PNG

Desired result is that Prev Seg button brings back to same state as prior to Next Seg.  This should hold true regardless of how many segments are selectet to be displayed -- Chart can handle up to 4 segments at one time.  Hope this adds some clarity. 

Not applicable
Author

I know there has got to be a Qlikview Guru out there who can figure this one out

Surely one of you guys has a solution:

Top 5 Contributors:

Best Regards,

Lew

Message was edited by: Lew Goldstein

Not applicable
Author

I have tried to simplify explanation of issue in another Discussion Post: http://community.qlik.com/message/274735#274735  I am still hopeful someone might have run into a similar problem and found a workable solution.

Not applicable
Author

Please vote for this functionality on these idea posts:

http://community.qlik.com/ideas/2302

http://community.qlik.com/ideas/2718