cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Determine the values [Cross Table]

*Edited*

Hello and Good Day!

Since I am new at using qlikview, I find it hard to analyze what should be my steps when cleaning an excel file. I have

an idea of using crosstables when encountering this kinds of problems.

attached file is the excel file.

What I need:

1. To know if it is under what year.

2. To know if it is under Revenue or Visitors

3. To know what is public or private

Thank you.

15 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

See attached files. This is rather convoluted. Perhaps somebody has a more efficient solution. However, I think fixing your excel sheet so it's more easily imported is a better solution. I hope this helps.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

based on the excel file, they are categorized based on revenue and visitors, and it depends on the year.

so based on the sample excel file I have given, those two category Revenue and Visitors is under for example September 2011, another one is under Semptember 2012 but under the same category [Revenue and Visitors]

Not applicable
Author

thank you

I will try your solution!

Not applicable
Author

bump. I have updated my post. Please see attached file.

Not applicable
Author

Did you ever find a simpler solution to loading multiple headers into a crosstable? I don't really understand what your script is doing...

Not applicable
Author

Gysbert says it's convoluted.  But I think Gysbert's load script just manually provides the "members" of each Dimension -- hard-coded like "Public" / "Private" , "Revenue" / "Visitors". The challenge for me is there is it can't "scale" to arbitrary number of Members and Dimensions unless we hard-code it.

So I think Gysbert is correct -- best thing is to "fix the Excel sheet"

Here is a question on SuperUser who wants to do the same, that is "unpivot" a 1-Dimension Excel file.

Is it possible to "unpivot" or "reverse pivot" in Excel? - Super User

I asked in the comments how to do 2-Dimensions Excel file, or arbitrary number of Dimensions, which I think is possible

http://superuser.com/questions/78439/is-it-possible-to-unpivot-or-reverse-pivot-in-excel/78464#comme...

Wonder if anyone has advice on "fixing the Excel sheet"