Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shared file corruption??

We have a *.shared file which gives errors.

In the QEMC we cannot edit anything for the QlikView report belonging to the shared file ... this gives the error: An exisiting connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. This probably happens because the shared file is read and changed for these actions.

In the QMC we can edit the QlikView settings, but this doesn't show the Shared objects we are interested in.

Using the powertools also this Shared file gives problems, e.g. with the Shared Object viewer ...

I know that throwing away the shared file will solve the problem, but since our users have their daily used user objects in this file we want to try to save this from distruction. We want to try to understand what is wrong with the file.

The end-users don't feel any problem with the Shared file since their objects are saved correctly.

Anyone has any clue what could happen here??

thx!!

rgrds,

Anita

12 Replies
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

There are a few things that can cause issues and the one I see the most is when the Document folder is on a SANs or NAS.

I would recommend that you back up the .share files every day. That way if you do have one go bad you have a backup to go to. Once one is bad there isn't a way to recover it.

When I was training I would tell the Admins to keep an eye on the share file and see what objects the users were creating. If a lot of them were sharing or creating basically the same items then put it in the QVW.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

This is the only Shared file with this problem ... I think the problem exists more then a year already.

Now we want to clean op the shared files (remove objects of users not working here anymore, and remove objects of users who have no access to the qlikview anymore), but for this file this is a problem.

It seems that the QEMC has a different way of approaching the *.shared file than the QlikView itself and the QMC.

rgrds,

Anita

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Even though it's not officially supported, I would recommend downloading the Power Tools (Search the forums), and run a defragmentation of the .shared file to try and rescue it.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

As I mentioned in my first post I did try the Powertools, only the Shared File Reader works fine, but this tool is only for showing ... not changing.

The Shared Object Reader gives the functionality to change things, but this probably works as QEMC ... it gives an error while opening this QlikView *.shared file ...

Some tooling is reading differently from others ... but I can't find what is wrong with the file.

rgrds Anita

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Defragmentation we have already done, this also doesn't do the trick here

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Ah, sorry about that. Was posting a bit too quickly.

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

DO NOT RUN the Defragmentation. This is know to corrupt the Share file.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

We only tested this to work, but not on the original file 😉 ...

The corruption was long before the Powertools where introduced here ... the file is corrupt for over a year (probably for 2 years now) ... but this is the first time we really jumped into solving things.

thx

maksim_senin
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi, Bill and Anita.

I've faced with the following issue - our selections on server are stuck, i.e. they just stopped changing some day and every time a user opens a document he/she sees the same selections made sometime in the past.

Nothing helps but (a) removal of the .Shared files - in this case users lost their selections and bookmarks, and (b) defragmentation. Sounds not too good that defrag. can corrupt the files, but unfortunately there is no known workaround. At least I did not found yet.

Cheers!