Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Virtual Memory is growing beyond parameters

Hi,

I could frequenly find the warning "WorkingSet: Virtual Memory is growing beyond parameters " from the event log . Why this occurs and how to prevent this.

Any suggestions would be fine

11 Replies
jbeierschmitt
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi,

I'm also seeing that error, although I have an additional message that states "WorkingSet: Virtual Memory is still beyond parameters" from the event log.

Please let me know if there is advice / corrective action necessary. Thanks

Jim

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I'm not familiar with the error, but if QlikView is using virtual memory, your performance is being severely degraded. I believe the best answer is to add more RAM, but that's a non-expert opinion. You can also try tuning the application to use less memory.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

The more RAM the better QV feelsSmile
Or, you can simply increase virtual memory. It may prevent this message (you say this is what you want), but it's not going to improve anything. Very well may be your application design should be reviewed. Or, you may need 64-bit environment.

jbeierschmitt
Contributor III
Contributor III

We are running 64-bit environment and the trigger for the event log is when a new Sales Analytics application is accessed into memory (1232MB). It's only available to a small audience as we complete the development and out intention is to perform a significant Publisher Enterprise Distribution reduction via various sales dimensions (Year, Territory) that should significantly decrease the application size when we release to wider audience.

I read a statement in the QV Server Reference Manual/Part 1/Server Management Console/Advanced Page under Memory Lock (% of available) that states:

When working with very large documents (Gigabyte size) on certain
64-bit systems it may be necessary to lock an amount of the available
physical RAM for use by QlikView Server. By doing this you
may prevent sudden swapping of the document, which will cause
the service to appear to freeze for up to several minutes. This setting
should be used with care and never exceed 90. Make sure not to run
other RAM-intensive applications (e.g. DBMS systems, QlikView
Publisher or QlikView Developer) on the same machine when
working with large documents on the QlikView Server.

We have not yet seen any production performance issues (14 mos.), but want to be proactive about the load performance in our environment - note the comment about separation of QV Server and QV Publisher. I use the QlikView Server Performance app to keep an eye on user adoption, etc..

The exact error message is WorkingSet: Virtual Memory is still beyond parameters - 22.871(22.399) GB. It goes away when document is no longer in memory.

Michael_Reese
Employee
Employee

I agree with adding more RAM. Also, reduce working set in the console from 70-90 to 50-70. I wrote in earlier post about the problems the default settings caused. 50-70 is default in QV9.

pablolabbe
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Did you solve this problem ? I have a customer with same error message.

jbeierschmitt
Contributor III
Contributor III

This error is an early indication that the QlikView Server service probably needs to be restarted. Depending on the level of QlikView utilization and the number/type of documents accessed you will see this message again within a week or two. We now use a QVS Cluster with 2 nodes to help balance the load for user documents. I would consider an automatic restart of QlikView Server on a scheduled task, however we have not tested this.

From our experience the QlikView Publisher and QlikView Server should not be shared on the same machine. If we have a failure with our overnight daily revenue dashboards we will crash the production environment if we restart the task sequence after ~9:00 AM. We have several daytime reloads from SAP using incremental extracts that are not a problem. Our revenue tasks are especially Publisher intensive as we perform multiple reductions and loop and reduce the user documents to each territory.

We currently use QlikView 9.0 SR3

Not applicable
Author

Supervising several servers with 256 GB memory, previously with QV 8 and now 9. Those are dedicated QVS servers, serving gigabyte files to many users. The message "WorkingSet: Virtual Memory is still beyond parameters" can go on without harm for weeks. But once you start seeing "WorkingSet: Virtual Memory is critically beyond parameters" it is time for restart.

Have a small page file (or no pagefile at all), otherwise Windows might crash and even destroy the filesystem while paging heavily. One can't login remotely, or even start Task Manager while logged in a system like this.

Once QVS.exe uses more than 95% of physical memory (depending on memory size), nothing works anymore. So you can choose to restart it automatically before reaching this condition, or let users notice and complain. The first choice results in less downtime; however you might have a hard time explaining that.

There is some kit from Microsoft that is supposed to be the equivalent of Unix ulimit, and kill processes when using too much resources. Or try scheduling the script bellow every 10 minutes.

powershell -command "& {get-process qvs | Where-Object {$_.PeakVirtualMemorySize64 -gt NNNN00000 } | foreach {stop-service QlikViewServer; stop-service -force QlikViewServer } }"

rem # no effects if service running

net start "QlikViewServer"

-Alex

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Tried modifying working set in the console from 70-90 to 50-70. Noticed no difference under heavy memory load

-Alex