Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Stacked bar chart without multiple expressions for categories

Hello

I have had a look through the mutitude of bar graph questions but couldn't find a solution to this. Apologies if I have missed it.

I am trying to create a stacked bar chart showing a total of letters sent by letter type with a line for cumulative total cost (these are my 2 expressions). The dimension is date.

Creating a non stacked version with just total letters sent as a bar and total cumulative cost as a line works fine - however I am unsure how to stack the bar chart to show a breakdown of letter type without creating an expression for each letter type. This isn't practical as I believe it means each time a new letter is added I will have to maually update.

Is there a way I can add letter type to the dimensions to have a stacked bar showing total letters sent and the contribution of each letter type to this total as well as having my cumulative cost line?

Thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Nope, sorry. The combo chart can't do stacked bars with two dimensions. I think the only way is to overlay two charts by making background, legends and axes etc transparent after lining the charts up as best as possible. See attached example.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Nope, sorry. The combo chart can't do stacked bars with two dimensions. I think the only way is to overlay two charts by making background, legends and axes etc transparent after lining the charts up as best as possible. See attached example.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Ok, thanks for the response.

At least now I can give up trying to work it out - I'll give the transparent chart a go.

mikecrengland
Creator III
Creator III

Unless I misunderstood the problem, you can do a stackedbar/line combo chart. Use a single dimension, and in my case, 5 expressions.

stackedcombo.png

Not applicable
Author

Thanks, however although this does work it would mean whenever a new letter was released I would have to manually add an expression which wouldn't be practical.